Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Little Friendly Publicity

Those people who know me real well know how much enjoyment I get out of seeing people recognized for the great things that they accomplished.

I've gotten comments from The Courier's publisher, Jim Fredricks, that he was glad to see many of the responses that I've received over the weekly running column on Sundays in his paper and that I was getting some attention. I told him once, via e-mail, that I could honestly care less if I got recognized one way or the other.

I mean, seriously, I've had my 15 minutes of fame and then some. And there's a lot of times where I've contributed to something that I've explicitly said for my name not to be attached to it - even when I know something will turn out well.

While pouring through the results of Texans at Monday's 111th annual Boston Marathon, I noticed that one runner, Ann Affolter, 29, of Dallas, was the only Texan of the 711 finishers who improved their 5K split each of the eight 5Ks throughout the race. She was also one of only 41 Texans who had a negative split.

During my days of covering high school athletics here in Houston and across the state of Texas from the mid-1980s to 2001, one of the many relationships that I developed was with Dallas Morning News running columnist Debbie Fetterman when she worked for the now-defunct Houston Post.

I dropped Debbie a note about Ann's achievement. Click here to see what came of it. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happened to come across that article yesterday and noticed your name. Very cool!

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jon! Its Ann Affolter! Just wanted to thank you for your meticulous research on my splits. Please know I was so flattered by your stats and Debbie's writing. I was proud of my Boston race and I am excited to get back there next year!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home