Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Around The World 5K Race Report

It was off to Aggieland (College Station, TX) for Sunday afternoon's Around The World 5K that started in front of the G. Rollie White Coliseum, which was playing host to a Fish Camp Counselors Meeting. (Which it was explained to me why everybody was dressed up in some type of costume. They "dress up" for meetings. Another interesting tradition I suppose!)

This was a simple, no-frills event that was put on by the International Student Association. The cost was $12 on race day, but since I (and they) didn't have change for a $20 to dole out $1 bills the cost went to $10. (I made it up back to the University in the form of $3 parking.)

I went to this, more than anything, to get out of the house a little bit.

Waverly and I left Spring at approximately 2:40 p.m. and we arrived, after filling up for gas near Montgomery, at about 4:15 to 4:20 p.m. (That is when I remember walking through the garage adjacent to the G. Rollie White Coliseum.)

I registered and received a T-shirt and a printed bib number (#104 ... I was #114 in the Yuri's Night 5K the day before) that was reminiscent of the ones provided at Stu's Country Mile in Centerville on the 4th of July.

For you Aggies in the audience, I walked Waverly around the north end zone of Kyle Field and informed her of the traditions and background regarding Reveille and the 12th Man while we waited for the race to begin.

This race was going to feature trophies for the first, second and third place male and female finishers in addition to a number of door prizes. (And I won neither!)

Corps of Cadets were used to monitor intersections that were crossed along George Bush Drive, Texas Avenue and University Avenue until you got on the inside of campus.

How did I run? Not real well, but I probably shouldn't have expected to for a number of reasons.

1.) I did an hour on the elliptical machine late in the morning at Bally's in The Woodlands (5.10 miles). I was going to do a second hour; however, I was forced to deal with some gas (probably from the greasy, yet good pizza the night before at Steel City Pizzeria in The Woodlands.) So I logged another 6 minutes on the elliptical machine and 15 minutes on the stationery bike before calling it a day there.

2.) My weight. I saw pictures from the Resurrection Run 5K and the one that Joe Carey took at Yuri's Night 5K for his blog - and I don't like the looks of either of them.

The bottom line is that I've got to get serious about getting it back into line. More activity and less intake! (The large breakfasts at the Residence Inn are getting me in Vancouver.)

I covered the course, which measured to be 3.08 miles using the USATF tool, in a very unflattering 31:05.95. There was a water stop along Texas Ave. and I think it was more than halfway, but not by much. It took me 15:21.35 to get there and 15:44.60 to get back. I stopped to walk just about as much as Waverly did on Saturday, unfortunately for the both of us.

The temperature was 80 degrees, but actually that didn't bother me that much. I think I just tried to push it faster than what I was ready. (Even though I wasn't running hard yesterday, I felt like I could have gone faster than I did today.)

All in all, it was fun. And the scenery was well ... what can I say. (I don't think I have to say much more!)

Therefore, on Sunday, April 22nd, I got in an hour and 20 minutes of crosstraining, 30 minutes of running and put in the following to my body (other than water early in the day and Diet Coke later):

280 calories -- Two (2) Nutri Grain bars
360 calories -- Two (2) Chicken patties for lunch
664 calories -- Philly Chick Wrap at Jason's Deli (also had two small pieces of pineapple and 3-4 strawberries)
60 calories -- 8 ounces of Powerade before the race
100 calories -- 2 cups of Apple Sauce

So somewhere around 1,600 calories for the day. I'm going to have to try and keep up with this on a more diligent basis as well as increasing my output on a daily basis too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 6-7 pounds lighter than I was at the Houston marathon (actually, a bit more since I've also added on 4 lbs. of muscle).

I don't really "count" calories but I do typically write down what I eat each day. I try to eat when I'm hungry and don't eat when I'm not but that is really more wishful thinking.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home