Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday, Apr. 24 Track Workout

It must have been the new Timex watch that I bought yesterday!

The one that I bought before I did the 2005 hp Houston Marathon finally broke off at the wrist a few weeks ago. It is the simple Timex Ironman 50-lap model. Nothing fancy. If I start to run faster, maybe I'll upgrade it.

I did a total of four (4) miles this evening. Nothing too spectacular. (Well, technically 4.5 miles.)

Waverly and I walked a lap around the track to get warmed up and then we were going to see if she could do two (2) miles. (Outside of her 10:09 that she did a year or two ago during her former school's mile run, it might be one of her fastest single miles.) The plan was to keep it easy, but here are the splits that she came through with:

2:42.21, 2:52.97, 2:58.13, 2:58.09 -- 11:31.40

We added one more lap - half walk and half jog/run - to give her 1.5 miles total. She did excellent, but her knees were bothering a little bit too.

Then, the Luke's Locker Beat program participants were doing just four (4) 400-meter dashes in preparation for their target race on Saturday in the Rise and Shine 5K. So I felt obliged to join them. Much to my surprise lined up to the left of me in the bright orange running shirt (it looks like a t-shirt, but he tells me it isn't) was none other than TWRC "Deer Tracks" editor, RRCA-certified coach and all-around good guy Bill Dwyer.

I had asked him earlier if he was going to wear his chip on Saturday. He said he was. Then I asked him if he was going to leave his time out of the results of the May edition of "Deer Tracks" (like he did his AT&T Austin Half Marathon time) and he responded that it was the "editor's privilege."

No sooner than Rick Cook set us all off for the first 400, I got a taste of the Bill Dwyer of old. (And I'm not saying anything about him being 50 either!) In the first 100 meters, I saw orange off to the left of me and getting to the 200-meter mark, he was still there. I'm thinking to myself, "Darn, he really is going to be ready for the CB&I Triathlon in two weeks." Even after 300 meters, he wasn't that far off. I actually held him off, but he pushed me to the fastest 400 meters that this Clydesdale has ever done on the track -- 1:49.50!

I remember talking to John Yoder after I did my first 400 during last year's LP Run and he was really surprised when I went through the first one at 1:59. (So was I. And I quickly faded after that.)

After about a three and a half minute recovery, we went out on the next one (and there was no Bill Dwyer.) He said that the first one was still part of his warmup! (I'm still laughing about that answer.) I went through the second one at 1:53.72 and I really had to push it in between the 200 and 300 meter marks.

Then Bill was back for my third one (and his second one.) As we started, Bill took the lead after about 75 meters and opened up a little lead through 200 meters. I saw him look at his watch and I glanced at mine, "52 seconds." I knew that I wouldn't be able to repeat that, but the question was whether or not he was. This lap was all about not letting Bill beat me.

I tried not to get too close because I didn't want him to hear how hard I was breathing, but I didn't want him to open up an advantage to where I couldn't catch him either. At about that time, I could hear Kim Hager cheering for me to catch him. (I told Waverly on the drive home that I knew somebody was hollering for me to catch him, but that I knew that it couldn't have been her -- the Super Secret Spy Girl.)

I thought about starting to make a move right before the 300-meter mark, but I thought it was too soon. I waited until we made it past the mark and then I went by him. (I think he was actually relieved for me to get by him, but we were both surprised by Ronald Longtin - a multi-time Luke's Locker Beat program participant and a really nice older gentleman. He's a little bit older to me though than he is to Bill.) I came through the third 400 in 1:54.48. (I almost thought that I was going to puke after I stopped.)

I did the last one in 2:03.09 (and really wanted to throw in the towel at the 300-meter mark on this one) and then added two more miles (untimed) on the track before heading home.

I also did a bit more reading about nutrition and fueling. I found a formula that talked about how many calories somebody at my weight would need on a daily basis and what my resting metabolic rate was. (I thought the first number was way high.) Regardless, I continue to try and be diligent on watching what I'm eating and it seems to be paying off a little bit. When I lose a little, I lose it in my seat first (and when I put a pair of Dockers for her choir concert this afternoon they fit a bit better there.)

Wait, this report just in, they did measure the ground rumbling at Knox Junior High ... and it was me, but in a good way, of course!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Runs like last night are a lot of fun. Very good company though out the whole group with a little competitiveness sprinkled here and there. Thanks for coming out.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I was hoping to make it to RTW before I leave, but doesn't look like it will happen. I'm doing the Cinco de Mayo 5k out west- my only event since the half in January. The next event on the schedule it Parkersburg. I'm a definite for it. Hopefully I'll find an event while I'm away....

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home