Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday, Apr. 23 Miscellaneous

Not much going on today as I begin to plan out my weekend.

Regardless, it will probably involve a road trip that may involve a couple of races.

I've got a couple of possible combinations that I'm working on. Most of them may involve doing the Half Marathon in Oklahoma City, which is a 6:30 a.m. start on Sunday. I could slog my way through the marathon to get state #10 and join the 50 States Marathon Club, but I'm not sure I want to do that - and be miserable heading into the week.

I finished up a race report this evening on the Vancouver Sun Run 10K for Bill Dwyer for The Woodlands Running Club's newsletter, "Deer Tracks".

I've already begun working on my Conroe Courier column for two weeks out and I have to reach out to the Race Director tomorrow of the CB&I Triathlon in The Woodlands tomorrow as that will be the focus of this Sunday's column. (And since it is likely that I'll be travelling Friday night and Saturday afternoon, I'll have to turn it in early for once.)

My activity level was OK. Nothing major. Waverly had to take some books back to the Harris County library on Cypresswood this evening so we went and brisk walked three (3) loops of the south side of Meyer Park, which has a 1.27-mile trail. (For the boo birds out there and yes, you do exist, Waverly had run 1.5 miles at school earlier in the day.)

Doing this really increased my appreciation for trained racewalkers. I saw a young man this summer racewalk a mile in just under seven (7) minutes at one of the RunSport track meets at Rice. It was absolutely incredible. Granted there are legal techniques that are employed that allow them to take every advantage they can, but brisk walking as fast as you can takes a surprising amount of effort.

We tried to hit a 14-minute mile in the last loop and it was hard -- and we came up short with a 14:10 effort. It was 3.81 miles in 57:04. I needled Waverly a little bit that we went faster than what she had run earlier in the day. :)

When we got home, I wanted to get in a couple of 4.1-mile loops on the bike before she was ready to go to bed this evening. However, I only managed one. I think I need to get a bike that is better suited for me. I feel like it is too short for my legs. When I'm on the stationery bike in the gym, I can adjust the seat to where my legs are almost straight out on the down pedal and not feeling like it is up in my chest otherwise. I have the seat up as high as it can go and I just never really feel comfortable, especially when I'm trying to push things a little bit.

I really tried watching what I ate today and the number of calories only added up to 1,630. (And some of the things I've been reading this evening seems like it is really low. I just found something that I can put to use - A Male Athlete's Guide to Proper Fueling, by Leslie Bonci, M.P.H., R.D. with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.) Hmmm ... I'll report more on this later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home