Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Late Thursday Night Run in Vancouver, BC

As I started my run yesterday evening at approximately 11 p.m. Pacific time, I couldn't help but think about a couple of good friends - Ken Johnson of the Seven Hills Running Club and fellow The Woodlands Running Club member Vincent Attanucci, as stated before - a Penn State graduate.

Both of these gentleman have a streak of running every day that I believe has gone on for at least three years each. (Ken had a longer one at one point that was interrupted due to a hospitalization.) I need to figure out a way to be satisfied with a 30- to 40-minute run every day and set aside some of the personal and work stresses and make this happen. So ... I come here to cleanse myself. :)

Last night, I just went out to run since I had let personal things (Sunday and Monday) and travel and work (Tuesday and Wednesday) from doing what I should.

I'm staying at the Marriott Pinnacle in downtown Vancouver and I headed towards Stanley Park. My plan was to run around it and then back to the hotel, which I thought would have given me approximately 8-to-9 miles.

From Thanksgiving to mid-December, the Pacific Northwest had been pounded with lots of rain - a large amount of snow for the area - and high winds. As a result of the latter, lots of trees in Stanley Park were uprooted (which will cost close to $10 million to completely cleanup). In fact, many of the trees on the north side of the park, close to the Lions Gate Bridge, had fallen on the seawall and has been keeping it closed.

I encountered that last night.

From the hotel to "approximately" where I got to on the seawall was 3.62 miles (and it could have been a little longer) and it took me 39:30.76. I was running at a pace that, from a cardio standpoint, was comfortable and that I could have carried on a reasonable conversation at. (I was just getting my body used to pounding on the pavement again.)

There was a sign that pointed me to a trail. (I thought to myself that I should have brought my headlamp this trip.) At first, innocent enough, I thought the trail may lead me beyond the bridge and past the point along the seawall where the downed trees were. However, I would have had to have crossed the road that runs through the middle of Stanley Park from the Lions Gate Bridge to downtown.

I was only on this trail for about 10 minutes until I got out to the road, but it was all a good gradual uphill that I ran comfortably most of the way. (I really wanted to get out of there because I was a little concerned about my safety. Thank goodness there was a full moon out last night too.)

When I got to the road, I had a decision. Take a left and head back to the hotel or go right and run over and back over the Lions Gate Bridge. I made the "right" decision!

The distance is again an approximation, but I went over the bridge and back and then down through the park to downtown and finished with another 3.51 miles in 39:07.63. This could have been a little bit faster since the last mile and a half was all a gentle downhill; however, the jarring of the body began to slow me down a little bit.

So ... 7.1 miles and change. I'll take it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home