Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Run The Woodlands 5K #178 Race Report

It's a shame for the reason why it takes me so much to remember what RTW number that we're on ... but that situation is in the past and it's time to press forward!

Today was fun. So much so that I didn't even run the race!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I should have. (Even after I did 50 minutes on the elliptical trainer last night at Bally's after flying to Columbus, Ohio and back through Detroit all day yesterday.)

But, I wanted to watch and, as a result, I volunteered. Of course, it wouldn't hurt me. (Run The Woodlands 5K should really become a The Woodlands Running Club event. TWRC is out there every race putting up its resources. Today's crew included Mick Long, Cathy Steele, Andrew "Lost" Perry, Rick Cook, Monty Lynes, Bill "They Don't Allow You to Walk in the Water" Dwyer and myself -- all TWRC members. Rumor is that Monty took over 300 pictures that will go up on the Run The Woodlands SmugMug site.)

Why did I watch? I thought that the women's race was going to shape up a little differently than what it did.

I knew that Team Timex professional triathlete Kim Hager was going to be doing the event, even after posting an excellent 4-hour, 48-minute half Ironman effort at Ford Ironman Florida last Sunday. However, some pre-race notes that I had said, "Just don't expect anything much faster than a jog."

I saw Coach Dan Green's wife, Lisa, who Kim beat by a little over four (4) minutes last October at Ten For Texas, there for the first time in awhile. (I had no knowledge of where Lisa's fitness is right now.) But I thought that it might be incentive for Kim ... however, the real incentive was really former Westfield HS phenom Nicole Jones' course record of 18:25. (Hager ran 18:37 two weeks ago.)

I also saw my good friend from the Bay Area Running Club, Vera Balic, who has been bouncing back from an injury that took her out of one of her favorite events - the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon.

Well, it never really materialized into a race as Hager, on the second loop of the Barbara Bush Elementary parking lot, was already tucked in behind five (5) former The Woodlands HS cross country runners as she hit the sidewalk on Crownridge.

Leading that pack (shown above courtesy of Bill Dwyer) was University of Arkansas harrier Jon Norris, 22, who won the race in 17:04. Spring masters runner Jacob Mazone, 44, who has won about every thing north of Spring Creek since the first of the year, followed in 17:15. Former The Woodlands HS cross country runner Daniel Zainfeld, 21, who finished fourth at the Bearathon Half Marathon on March 3, 2007 in 1:23.11, was just two seconds in front of Brian Perriman. Zainfeld was third in 17:38.

Hager (shown above in her new Newton shoes) with fifth overall in her record-breaking time of 17:56.

Behind her in the women's race was 12-year-old Shelby Hayes, who beat Green by six seconds with time of 21:14. Green's third place finish of 21:20 was easily ahead of Balic (22:06) and The Woodlands Running Club's Sharon Morin with a 22:47.

There were 13 finishers of the Montgomery County Triple. Their finishing times and places as follows:

2. Jacob Mazone, Spring, 17:15
19. Stephen Smith, The Woodlands, 21:36
28. Randy Bradley, The Woodlands, 23:57
40. Paula Stiles, The Woodlands, 25:12
43. Heather Tromanhauser, The Woodlands, 26:00
50. Kim Driver, Montgomery, 26:46
51. Mike Mendeck, Conroe, 26:55
56. Anne Pattengale, The Woodlands, 29:13
58. Cody Ferguson, Montgomery, 29:37
63. Susan Meyer, The Woodlands, 31:58
65. Debbie Tripp, The Woodlands, 32:35
66. Corinne Laird, The Woodlands, 32:55
67. Lori Eubanks, The Woodlands, 33:25

It was good to see some people I haven't seen in awhile, including Spring's John Soul, who finished in 21:29. I also got a chance to meet fellow TWRC member William Blount for the first time today as well.

Texas Independence Relay teammates Dave Smart and Karen Felicidario finished in 25:07 and 29:48, respectively.

One of the best stories of the morning, before breakfast with Bill, Debbie, Andrew, Monty Lynes and his wife, Alana, came after Bill introduced me to Alana. (I've seen her results for quite some time. She's a talented runner.)

I noticed in the results at the Boston Marathon this year that she was listed as a native of Canada. So, of course, knowing that my friend, Vera Balic, and frequent RTW winner Rachel Guenther are both also from Canada, I asked her where and she said, "British Columbia."

You can see where this is going. I asked, "Where in British Columbia?"

She said, "Some place that you've probably never heard of. I was actually born in 100 Mile House, but last lived in Quesnel (pronounced Qui-nell)." And I responded, "On the way to Prince George." (I failed to add the "Eh".)

She was kind of surprised and so I went on to tell her that I had made the drive north almost 800 kilometers last April to run a half marathon there with the Prince George Roadrunners.

It was really a good day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home