Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Happy 12th Birthday to Waverly!

It is really just hard to believe that Waverly is 12 years old today.

I remember holding her first at a little after 3 a.m. twelve (12) years ago, and running a little over two (2) miles around the track at Knox Junior High with her last night is special too - just in a different way. (I had to edit the previous sentence because her birth was the most incredible moment and I had written that running with her Tuesday night was greater. It wasn't.) But the incredible things that she has been able to experience so far in life isn't extravagant by any means, but I would describe them all as "unique" and "special".

I don't keep track (isn't that a surprise), but she wiped out Dad's achievements in the 6th grade with all A's and one B.

She did a half marathon at the age of 10.

She sang a solo less than two weeks ago at school. (Oh, my plan was to share the video with you here; however, before I could get over to my parents and help my Mom get it off the recorder, she accidentally taped over it. My Dad, who was in Pennsylvania to see his parents, wasn't the most happy individual.)

She's had the opportunity to do so many things, but the most remarkable thing is that she's a very good, well-respected young lady.

I did help Bill Dwyer exact a little fun and embarrassing revenge last night. Waverly helped coordinate with Gena, Debbie Tripp and Kim Hager the surprise birthday event at Run The Woodlands 5K #169 on January 6th for not only me, but also Bill after she overheard him talking about his birthday the week before at track night.

I called Bill with enough time for him to positively, of course, embarrass her in front of the Luke's Locker Beat programs folks as well as Kim Hager's tri group. Many in both groups already know Waverly. Once everybody was done with their track workouts, everyone sang "Happy Birthday!" to her.

We're taking her out to eat later tonight.

She and I did our usual thing. Walk one time around the track, in the outside lane, to warm up and cool down, and then eight (8) laps.

She did the eight (8) laps in 26:51.20, which was 2.217 miles (3,568 meters) for a 12:06/mile pace. We only ran it hard the last lap. (I told her that Ken Johnson, president of the Seven Hills Running Club, who shares her birthday today, was expecting her to run on June 9th in the competition against The Woodlands Running Club at Run The Woodlands.)

I just tried to have her run steady (and we carried on a conversation most of the time) and these were her splits: 3:11, 3:25, 3:26, 3:25, 3:26, 3:31, 3:26, 3:02.

I then added another 1.108 miles (4 laps in lane 7) in 11:24.19 for a 10:17/mile pace.

I had done 50 minutes on the stationery bike late Monday night at Bally's after the weekend of back-to-back half marathons.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

Happy Birthday Waverly!!!!! and no, I don't know how to say it in Japanese! LOL!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday Waverly!!!!! You've accomplished quite a lot in 12 years!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Waverly! You've almost done more in 12 years than I've done in 29!

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Waverly!

I fancy the idea that whomever Waverly dates, the conversation might, in part, go like this:

Dad: So, uh, where are you planning on taking my daughter?
Date: We're going to see Spider-Man 7.
Dad: Do you run?
Date: Yeah. (Minus 1 point for not saying "Yeah, SIR.")
Dad: What pace do you run the 5K in?
Date: I can hold a 11 minute pace.
Dad: (So Waverly can out run him, if need be) Have a good time, but be back by 10. Take care of my daughter...or else."

3:45 AM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

To Doug's last comment, I'd like to add, "Take care of my daughter...or else." As Jon cleaned his shotgun for the 10th time that night.

Happy Birthday Waverly! I'll be 68 when you become a Master Runner. LOL.

11:04 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I don't know if it is a good thing that I'm getting training from Rick Cook ... and his daughter isn't even here yet!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home