Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Texas Independence Relay Team Update

We're still searching for our team name as we'll do battle against Bill Dwyer's "Texian Road Warriors" in the Texas Independence Relay's "Texas Tough Throwdown".

However, we're getting closer!

Karen Felicidario apologized for her lack of Texas history while researching some information on one of possible team names and mentioned that she was originally from Massachusetts.

It is probably fairly well known that I'm from Pennsylvania and that Cassie Mondragon is from West Virginia ... but not sure why anyone would want to ride across it in the back seat of a Cadillac as Tim McGraw sings in his new duet, "I Need You", with his wife, Faith.

So I asked, "Where is everybody from?" and here are some of the responses - so far - I received in this "Get To Know Your TIR Teammate" segment:

Edwin -
Cassie - West Virginia
Barbara -
Holden - "I was born in Seoul, Korea, moved to Kobe, Japan when I was 5, moved back to Korea when I was 7, moved to Las Palmas, Spain when I was still 7, went to a boarding school in Britain when I was 13, moved to Chicago, IL when I was 16, attended University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL for college, then went on living in the Chicago area until I was 37 at which time I moved to the Houston area in July, 2003. I typically say I'm from Chicago."
Jon - "Born in Altoona, PA, but lived in Tyrone, PA. Moved to Houston in November 1976 before two short stops in 1979-1980 in Russellville, AR and Venetia, PA (near Pittsburgh). Aside from a 14-month stay in Carrollton, TX, where Waverly was born at St. Paul Hospital in Dallas, I've been in Spring, TX otherwise since 1981."
Karen - Massachusetts
Joe - Cleveland, Ohio
Keith - "Originally from the great state of New Jersey, I high schooled and colleged in Florida, and I'm now in grad school in Texas."
Sarah - "I grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. It's much nicer to run there than here. Too bad I didn't run while I was living there!"
JD - "Most of my life has been spent in Texas. Born in New Jersey, I was only there for six months. Most growing up was in California."
Dave -
Jessica -

Erin - "That’s actually a tough question. I was born in Pittsburgh, and both of my parents grew up there. But before I turned 12, I also lived in Philadelphia; Akron, OH; Champaign, IL; Richmond, VA; and finally Indianapolis, which is where I went to high school. Indianapolis is the place I consider home and where my parents and my sister still live—that’s where I generally tell people I’m from if they ask."
Christy - "Sorry, I'm boring ... born and raised right here in Houston." (No, Christy, you're a rarity these days!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

I think we should list our runners also. I know we have Minnesota, Washington State, New York, Texas, Louisiana & South Africa.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dare I actually have to say I am a HOOSIER!!! Woo hoo!

It is true - finest in the land. No better place than the beautiful state of Indiana.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home