Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

9th annual Midnight Bike Cruise, The Woodlands

Bill Dwyer (aka "Bigfoot") and I covered 23 miles during the 9th annual Midnight Bike Cruise benefitting the Montgomery County Food Bank.

The ride was originally advertised as 20 miles on the website, but when we got to the Alden Bridge Shopping Center we found out that it was scheduled for 25.5 miles.

We were joined by fellow The Woodlands Running Club member Scott Brian and his wife, former Woodlands Fit coach Beth Whitehead, Andy and Amber Brock (who Beth introduced us to) as well as another TWRCer, Mitch Hall. We also saw Peter Manry of "Other Brother" PA/music fame as they let wave after wave of bikes start the charity ride.

If you ever need to be cheered up, you need to meet Beth Whitehead. Bill kept noting that Beth never ever quits smiling. She made a comment while we were riding that she had turned 40 this year and I told her that there is no way that I would have guessed that. She had told me in an e-mail that she is preparing for the San Antonio Marathon in November (although she is signed up for Houston.)

Beth, who has two children, will forever be known as the individual who spearheaded one of the greatest outpourings of community support The Woodlands may have ever seen with her "Run For Hans 5K" at Run The Woodlands last November. To provide you with the link to Hans' (Weberling) blog, there is an entry on July 25 that the now 4-year-old is disease free of nueroblastoma. And ... I just also read that Hans' sister, Elle, did the Kiwanis Kids Triathlon today at the South Montgomery County YMCA where I was covering the event for my Sunday Conroe Courier column.

Cool stuff! Bill and I rode with Beth most of the time. Although in the last 7 or 8 miles, Beth took off with her a couple of her friends and Bill held back to let me get caught back up.

The bike I have has always bother my knees because I can't fully extend my legs. So when I'm resting, my knees are bent a bit more than they should be the whole ride when not pedaling.

We're getting closer to the end and Bill says, "With the knotty tread, you have to pedal more to go fast" or something to that effect. I said, "So that means I have to work harder to keep up?" He chuckled, "Yes. See, I'm speeding up and not even pedaling."

We had a great time. Scott Brian had 23 miles on his bike (and we're going with that.) We made the 23 miles within 2 hours, but we didn't get to a particular point in time to get the planned mileage. The word is, though, that the real distance was about 28 miles.

So ... to go out and do 23 miles, the longest that I've ever been on a bike on the road, AFTER running 62 minutes on the treadmill at Bally's and another 20 minutes on the elliptical machine just four (4) hours early is a very good evening in my book.

The 62 minutes on the treadmill was fun.

First 10 minutes - 4.4 mph with 1.0 incline
15 minutes - increase incline to 1.5
20 minutes - increase mph to 4.5
25 minutes - increase incline to 2.0
30 minutes - increase mph to 4.6
35 minutes - increase incline to 2.5
40 minutes - increase mph to 4.7
45 minutes - decrease incline to 2.0
50 minutes - increase mph to 4.8
55 minutes - decrease incline to 1.5
60 minutes - increase mph to 4.9 ... and then after a couple of minutes, I crashed.

The only thing that would have made the bike ride better would have had Waverly riding (she was spending the night at Gena's parents' house) as well as both TIR teams!

But we had fun and benefitted a great cause in the process! Now time for some sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home