Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hanging Out in Pasadena, California

By the way, a congratulatory shout out for Texas' top finisher in Sunday's NYC Half Marathon Presented by NIKE -- Chevron Houston Marathon Director of Race Development Steve Karpas, 41, of Bellaire.

Ethiopia's Haile Gebrselassie won the event in a time of 59:24 - 19 seconds faster than Ryan Hall's performance at the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in January. Sunday's fastest American was 30-year-old Tucson, Arizona native Abdi Abdirahman, who came in second in 1:00:29.

Karpas finished in 1:26:07.

The NYC Half Marathon had 9,925 finishers -- just a few more than the Aramco Houston Half Marathon's 6,857 finishers in 2007.

So ... I've begun a project in Pasadena, California. I'll be here for at least the next three months and then it will be month-to-month after that. I'm staying at a Marriott Courtyard that is in what is known as Old Town Pasadena.

I got out this evening for an extended walk around the area - to sort of loosen up the soreness in my legs from yesterday's half marathon in Fort Davis.

There is a lot of interesting architecture here. Those that are into it would probably appreciate more. To me, I just see something and think to myself, "That's cool looking."

One of the most interesting structures is Pasadena's City Hall, which can be seen here on the city's web site.

Our client partner here, who picked me up at the airport, drove me by the headquarters for the Tournament of Roses Parade. It is an Italian Renaissance-style mansion, called the Tournament House, that was once owned by chewing-gum pioneer William Wrigley, Jr.

I've been told that I can run to the Rose Bowl Stadium, which had its first game in 1923 when USC defeated Penn State, 14-3. (Always good to know that we beat the Fighting Irish to something - even though it was a loss.)

Hmmm .... I just found out that they have a Rose Bowl Half Marathon! But it is on December 8 - the weekend of Sunmart (and I want to see Bill finish the 50K!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home