Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Just Now Walking Right

Those of you have completed a marathon know how it is to get around the day after.

You're sore. Stiff. Feel like you have a couple of boards strapped to your legs.

Running a primarily downhill marathon (and not being completely prepared for it), my legs experienced a completely different feeling that I was finally able to bike through a little bit late last night. (Just under an hour at Bally's here in Pasadena)

For much of Monday and Tuesday, I walked around as if I was imagining that I high-heeled shoes on! Walking up stairs were fine, albeit still store.

Going down them? I had to grab the handrail and go down two feet on each stair!

Others agreed! G. Z. from Ventura, California (12/3/07) said on marathonguide.com, "As far as courses go, it's a simple, downhill course (interesting feeling in the legs the next morning) with some manageable hills near the end."

And they weren't hills either. He's never been to Parkersburg, West Virginia.

Richard Johnson from Springfield, MO (12/3/07) added "As usual, the locals have the greatest advantage of actually training on miles and miles of decline, conditioning their quads for the pounding, but the rest of us must suffer."

Richard, I feel your pain!

It is called a different type of soreness on the outsides of my shins. :)

R. E. from Virginia (12/3/07) noted that "There are a few "gotcha" inclines between miles 10 and 14 that take their toll after the fast downhill start. There is a slight incline from about mile 21 to 23 or so, but it has a lot of declines. My quads really hurt at the end."

Just looked, the forecast for Saturday calls for a high of 80 and a low of 66 in Huntsville with scattered thunderstorms. I think that calls for a "no go" for Sunmart!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home