Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Miscellaneous Tuesday Musings (NRC)

1.) The Roger Clemens Report. Primarily stat geeks will appreciate the numbers in the report produced by his agents, the Hendricks Brothers of, ugh!, Spring. Here's wishing Clemens, his agents and Rusty Hardin would all just go away. Andy Pettitte's faith - and a need to resolve things before he went to church in Deer Park that Sunday (where he teaches Sunday School) after the Mitchell Report came out - directed what he felt like what the right thing to do was.

2.) Obama has landed in Pasadena. Not him personally, of course; but, rather, his campaign. They've opened up an office on Union Avenue within a two-block radius of the office that I work in. Quite honestly, I'm surprised I have seen a candidate's office opened sooner here. I guess this just means that California is now coming into focus.

2a.) Not another Texan! ... is the response I gave to Ron Paul's people when they approached at the corner of Central Park this fall in October when I was in New York City. I haven't got close enough to their campaign people since.

3.) Mike Huckabee should qualify to run Boston. I know three people - including one of my TIR teammates - who have run Boston without qualifying. One ran it as part of a charity (the Dana Farber for breast cancer, which she had contracted herself), another ran it from receiving an entry in a lottery that the event gave to its sponsor (and that she wouldn't have another chance to use the same option for another five years), and finally, a third ran it given to them by a running specialty store through a shoe company. The final individual is/was 70 when he ran it. I have no problem with that either.

I met Huckabee two years ago at the Little Rock Marathon Expo. I like him. I think he's a great guy. I think that McCain/Huckabee would make a good Republican ticket, though. I bought Huckabee's book, "Character", and I think he should exercise more of it in his decision to run Boston. To me, he's lumping himself in with Katie Holmes. Katie Holmes is a celebrity and Huckabee is lowering himself to her standards, which I'm disappointed.

This position isn't an easy one, obviously, because some would say that Huckabee is doing it under a great charity, Team Hoyt. I agree that it is. But is he really raising money for the charity, especially when his campaign is pinching pennies to make it to another state?

For the record, I wrote the campaign and every available e-mail address I had. Needless to say, I didn't have a response. Maybe Vincent Attanucci can speak some sense into Mike when he runs Boston for yet another year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

well since I know the only way I'll ever run Boston is if I run with a charity or someone "gives" me an entry (and if that happened I would go and run and say screw all the naysayers), I'll say he should go and do it and have fun....but I do see your point.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home