Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Area runner battles Parkinson's, raises funds

In what I do, I, unfortunately, learn a lot of things that would fall under the category of "running industry drama". And because of how I learn of the information, usually with confidences protected, I can't go into too much detail about them.

It is why good journalists earn and maintain respect. But, on the other hand, there are great stories in the world of sports and I get to learn of those too.

This week's Conroe Courier column, which is already online and will appear in print today around Montgomery County, is about 43-year-old Paul Brundage of The Woodlands.

He and his two boys ran the Montgomery County Triple this past Thanksgiving Day weekend. They are pictured here.

I had a chance to get to know Paul a little bit this past August out in Magnolia where Waverly and his younger son, Alex, were running at the same middle school track meet. But it wasn't until I received an e-mail from his wife, Vicki, on January 29, that I learned that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Once you've finished reading the column and looked at the picture on the MCT blog site, I would invite you to go to this link and watch some of the coverage from one of Austin's TV station on Sunday. They'll lead with coverage of the two Americans who finished 1-2, but then they'll talk with Paul's son, Kyle.

You'll be glad that you took the time to do so.

1 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I remember seeing these great guys at RTW for the Triple. I remember thinking how happy they looked being able to do this together. I pray that they are able to do many more runs together.

What a great kid Kyle is!!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home