Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

TIR Countdown: 16 Days!

I can't say how much that I have a great team -- the Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic - for the Texas Independence Relay. Not in the sense that we're going to win the whole thing, but just the cooperation that I've received in making this a quality effort for all.

However, we've had one more roster change!

Jessica Alexander is moving to Austin the weekend of the Texas Independence Relay and will not be able to participate with us. Her last local race for awhile will be the Park to Park Run next Saturday, February 23. One of the original Houston Running Bloggers, we'll miss having her around the greater Houston area ... but we'll continute to see her continual improvement in her running and triathlon abilities from afar in the Austin-area.

While I considered a number of options that I'll keep private (my team already knows though), the best option that presented itself was this one involving a runner-turned cyclist-turned swimmer whose running was starting to come back around after an injury. Work could still throw him a curve, but we'll know for sure in a few days whether that's the case or not.

Nonetheless, I look forward to Mr. Joe Carey giving us three solid legs for about 15 miles. It is good to have Joe back on the active roster with us.

Our 10K paces look like this -- Edwin (47:30), Tommy (50:00), Dave (52:00), Joe (52:00), Holden (54:00), Keith (55:00), Karen (56:00), Katy (57:00), Barbara (58:00), Cassie (62:00), Sarah (63:00) and myself (63:00).

I built in a little bit of time into Edwin (30 seconds), Tommy (minute), Dave, Keith and Barbara - for various reasons. Dave's is a cushion, but Keith is a little bit of an unknown and Barbara has indicated that she's not quite where's she been with her training. This takes a little bit of the pressure off.

I upgraded Holden and Karen's because they'll be running four shorter legs. I kept Katy's about the same since she'll be running two weeks after doing the Austin Marathon on Sunday. I upgraded Cassie's by a minute because I know she'll rise to the occasion (especially if I pull out orange and run in front of her.) Sarah's is right at where she ran a couple of weeks ago and I don't even consider Surfside in the equation. And I think I'll be under 63 myself.

Our "running" legs (since I have some literal/figurative folks on my team) are as follows:

Legs 1-6 - Jon, Edwin, Karen, Holden, Keith, Tommy (Karen gets to run with the boys!)
Legs 7-12 - Cassie, Sarah, Barbara, Katy, Dave, Joe

Legs 13-18, 25-30 - Cassie, Karen, Holden, Tommy, Sarah, Dave
Legs 19-24, 31-36 - Jon, Edwin, Keith, Barbara, Joe, Katy

Our departure schedule - other than anybody that may want to go to Gonzales themselves - is shaping up like this:

Leaving from Jon's - Jon, Edwin, Karen, Dave, Holden, Katy (and possibly Barbara)
Leaving from Cassie's - Cassie, Keith, Joe, Sarah, Tommy (and possibly Barbara)

Manny and Jose will be our drivers. They're going to need to focus on getting to the next exchange as quickly and as safely as possible. When one runner finishes, they'll need to maybe towel off quickly and then immediately get to the next exchange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home