Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Run The Woodlands 5K #194 Race Report

I wasn't going to run this this morning, but Mick Long blew the horn (which is less than a couple of minutes before the start of the race) ... so I went signed the waiver, dropped my $1 in the bag and ran it!

I just couldn't resist, plus Holden came out this morning. If one of my TIR teammates came out, the captain had to run it as well! I did OK, though. Not where I'm capable of being, but I'll get there.

Mile 1 -- 9:18.49
Mile 2 -- 9:54.67
Mile 3 -- 9:57.19
Last .1 -- 52.46
Total -- 30:02.81

The difference from two weeks ago was mile 3 and then the push at the last .1 to slip under 30 minutes. The 52.46 is sub 9-minute pace. (Not that I could have held it for too much longer.)

There was a little bit of a lower turnout this week. The hit list included:

+ Rick "Dirt Runner" Cook, working the event for Luke's
+ Vincent Attanucci, who was happy that he was in the 20s - from a time standpoint
+ Paul Brundage of The Woodlands, who will be the subject of my Tuesday column in The Courier. I also got a chance to meet his wife, Vicky.
+ Kingwood's Bill Schroeder and his wife, Mindy.

Beyond that I really didn't know too many people there today. (Some of you are reading this and saying to yourself, "That's a first!)

I went over to Luke's Locker after the race so that Bill and I could take our "Texas Tough Throwdown" picture for the Texas Independence Relay website. (It should help that we took it in the race sponsor's store, right?)

When I got there, two of Bill's teammates -- Greg and Gena Alvarez -- were there in the parking lot so there was some good-natured ribbing going on. Once the happenings moved inside the store, and while Andrew Perry was ringing me up with a new pair of Asics Fortitudes, I told Rick that I had an idea for a bit of a bet for the TIR to cement our two-team challenge.

It is this: "If the Texian Road Warriors beat the Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic, I have to run the Rocky Raccoon 100-Miler next February. But, when the Battling Bloggers win, Bill will do the Rocky Raccoon 50-Miler!"

I'll do the 50-miler again regardless and, at a minimum, I'm pretty sure that I can put together - with Bill and Rick's help - a conservative game plan to finish the 100-miler.

In the store, we saw other Luke's employees, Dawn Craig (who finished her first 100-miler last Saturday-Sunday) and my TIR teammate, Dave Smart. Also there was TWRC's Kristin Collins, Mary Kerschbaum (recent Rock 'N' Roll Arizona finisher) and store manager Susie Schreiber.

[Weekend note: Waverly, who's performing today in their Region Choir at Spring Baptist, is out for track and she ran the 100 in 20 seconds, she said, and the 400 in 1:55. Not sure that I've done it that fast in awhile ... plus she said that she threw the 6-pound shot about 20 feet. Good for her!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home