Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

TIR Post-Race Pace Projection Analysis

The main page of the spreadsheet predicted - based on the 10K times that I put in - that we'd finish in 31:14:03. However, when you got to the guts of the second page of the spreadsheet, it really turned out to be 31:13:43.

Our final finishing time was 31:42:36, for a 9:20 per mile pace. This also means that we were 28 minutes and 53 seconds over that projection.

After Sarah's leg 30, we were still 2 minutes and 46 seconds ahead of our projected time.

The fastest per mile legs were as follows:

6:51 - Leg 15 - Adrienne Langelier - 4.13 miles
6:55 - Leg 27 - Adrienne Langelier - 6.51 miles
7:30 - Leg 1 - Dave Smart - 4.26 miles
7:30 - Leg 3 - Adrienne Langelier - 8.78 miles
7:47 - Leg 8 - Joe Carey - 2.81 miles
7:55 - Leg 21 - Tommy Stunz - 6.76 miles
8:05 - Leg 11 - Tommy Stunz - 6.36 miles
8:05 - Leg 13 - Dave Smart - 4.21 miles
8:05 - Leg 22 - Joe Carey - 5.01 miles
8:07 - Leg 25 - Dave Smart - 5.00 miles
8:09 - Leg 32 - Tommy Stunz - 6.69 miles
8:16 - Leg 37 - Dave Smart - 4.40 miles
8:26 - Leg 34 - Joe Carey - 5.33 miles
8:27 - Leg 2 - Holden Choi - 4.85 miles
8:36 - Leg 28 - Holden Choi - 3.6 miles

These were the only sub 9-minute legs throughout the day.

We had five (5) legs that were 11-minute per or greater and yes, I took two of them (but not leg 23). Leg 10 was in the heat and Leg 35, I admittedly backed off just a little bit.

Dave led the way by being 14:21 ahead of his cumulative projected time. This just tells me that I errored on his projected per mile pace of 8:48.

Adrienne was 8:38 ahead of hers, but her projected pace of 7:37 per mile was very, very conservative. She ran the Huntsville Half Marathon with a 7:21 per mile pace. I should, therefore, have lowered the projection somewhat.

Joe was a cumulative 8:35 ahead of projection. Again, though, I was being conservative with an 8:48 pace because Joe was coming off of an injury.

Tommy was 8:12 ahead of his, but I went with a 50-minute 10K that projected an 8:28 pace. The 7:55 per mile pace on Leg 21 may be a good indication of what he'll be able to do on Saturday during the Bayou City Classic 10K.

We were ahead of the per leg projections 25 of 40 times.

Just a few kernels of data that I've crunched from the time splits that were recorded.

12 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

That will look different next time.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

I think my leg 28 was also a sub 9.

6:51 AM  
Blogger K said...

I was the team handicap... every one needs one! LOL

7:32 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Interestingly enough, half were ahead of their projected time and half were over.

All this means is that I was too aggressive on some and too conservative on others.

As a captain, I need to be a little bit more inquisitive to where everyone is at.

We live and learn.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey, I told you where I was -- not my fault if you didn't listen. ;) I was very happy with my overall average.

I should tell you that you may have a slower time for leg 19 than I actually ran -- Jose forgot to hit the split for a couple minutes, I believe. I posted my times on my blog.

11:37 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I know, I know. :)

Sarah, you were over the least, actually. 2:06 of cumulative time over and Katy was second in 3:03.

In the long run (no pun intended), you can't compare it to having the fun that we did as a team!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Well, i pretty much feel like I rocked and couldn't be happier with my paces! LOL!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Next year, I think we should take fatigue into account. I know that my pace was great on the first two legs, and awful on the last one where I was really tired. I think Tommy said the spreadsheet slowed down by 30 seconds per mile, but maybe we should pad that a bit more!

3:35 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Cassie, yes, you were a rock star! You beat your predicted time by a cumulative 6:37 - 5th best on the team.

Sarah, I'll send the spreadsheet around for everybody to look at.

3:39 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks for the recap Jon. Legs 13 & 25 look right. I thought leg 37 would be slower because of the killer headwind. For leg 1, are you sure that for leg 1 you divided the leg 1 miles into the leg 1 split time? (and not from the group start time). I am surprised by the 7:30 pace for leg 1 - I didn't have any Red Bull yet!

3:58 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Over the course of > 200 miles, that seems like a pretty close finish to estimated time to me!

I know the people on our champions fit team said the same as Sarah suggests - take fatigue into account next year for the later legs.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Dane said...

Sorry I could not make this, Jon. Looks like you had a blast!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home