Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tuesday Night Track: Great Company, Running Sucked

Hmmm ... running eight days out of nine (including four races in three days), I wonder if it is taking a little bit of a toll on me -- or was it just the humidity tonight?

I ran 15 laps (3.75 miles), but not all at once! (Jeff Paul asked me how many I was going to do tonight and I told him that my goal was 8 miles, but I just didn't have it in me tonight.)

I also did another 10 laps in lane seven (8 very easy running, 2 walking) with the pregnant Juliee Sparks, one of the vaunted Texian Road Warriors. :)

I tried to keep each lap at around 2:40, running in lane two.

First set -- 2:39.01, 2:41.69, 2:40.44, 2:43.40, 2:45.44
Second set -- 2:40.61, 2:39.60, 2:36.40, 2:41.27
Third set -- 2:41.14, 2:50.63, 2:30.06
(I got slowed down for some reason and knew I had to make it up)
Fourth set -- 2:46.15, 2:51.41, 2:44.57 (in lane 6)

Bill's instructions to Juliee were to make sure that her heart rate didn't get above 140 so he said that way she could run with me.

After we had done the two miles of real slow running, Bill piped up to the remaining Luke's Locker Beat runners and Kim's triathletes that I had done four races in three days. (Bill: It's flattering, but it isn't that big of a deal. They all won't talk to me now because they just received confirmation that I'm "nuts".)

Now Bill and I are very good friends, so I can jab at him pretty good. When Juliee and I were 200 meters away, I told him when we got back around that I was going to get him.

Yes, it was premeditated. :)

When we made it back around, I told him that there used to be a day that he was able to do four races in three days! :) That was a zinger indeed!

There are those of us that are going to keep encouraging Bill to get closer to where he wants to be. Then once he gets there ... we might be all be sorry about getting what we wished for!

In other news, they voted in Student Council this morning for officers for next year. Waverly will find out on Thursday if she was voted Student Council President. If not, she'll still be on Student Council and, then, will be able to pick and choose what things she does on it. Meaning a win-win either way.

The choirs are going to San Antonio on Saturday - very, very early (like 3 a.m.) - for a choir concert and then spend the day at Fiesta Texas. Her Mom is the lead parent of the ten or so parents going with them as chaperones. God Bless her!

Waverly was one of four seventh graders in her school that scored high enough on either the SAT or ACT to be recognized by the Duke Talent ID Program. They will be putting the information on the Spring ISD website soon and she will be recognized at the District's Tuesday, May 13th Board Meeting. There is also a Duke Talent ID state recognition program at Lamar University in Beaumont on Saturday, May 17. (No racing that day!)

And she told me this evening at dinner that her only B the last six weeks - an 89 in Texas History - has been brought up to an "A". She needs a 91 to average an "A" for the entire semester. I simply told her to do the best that she could. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

geez....that's a talented, intelligent girl.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

I remember when the TIP came to A&M last year. It was a real big deal on campus-good for her, what am accomplishment!!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home