Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Late Wednesday Night Run / 4.35 Miles

Well, technically it was a Thursday morning run - as I wrap us this blog post at 2:30 a.m. (I've had the "you're crazy" department president title secured for a long time.) Think about it though. It's never too late - or early - to squeeze in a run.

I know someone who goes out on a 5K route with their dog at 3 a.m. because it is the only time that they can fit it into their crazy schedule. My schedule is much more serene, and if I could give it to them for a little bit, I would - to give them a break.

This evening, I came back from the office and went to sleep from about 7 until 10 p.m. I walked to the corner store to get something to drink and a light snack, and came back to the hotel to work on a few e-mails.

I was thinking about that I needed to get some nice and easy short runs in before I go to Minnesota on Saturday afternoon. Therefore, it was out the door at approximately 1 a.m.

I've really been adverse to running lately on the pavement. You know, the force equation: pounds impacting on the ground. But there's really no substitute when you're going to go do a marathon soon so out I went. (Plus the workout room here at the Courtyard is claustrophobic.)

It was 75 degrees on one bank clock that I saw. Weather.com right now says that it is 73 degrees with 63 percent humidity.

As I ran out of the parking lot, I thought about some recent words a friend wrote about their running:

"I've told you before that running feels triumphant for me, and it really does. I can set goals for myself, and do things I didn't even know I could do. When I run, I live in the moment and feel everything. I keep going even though it hurts. Sometimes, I get in the zone and all I feel is pure joy. And when I'm done, I feel proud that I did what I set out to do. I just bask in the glow of God's good sunshine."

I truly believe that every one of their runs is like that. All I could hear though was the foot falls on the ground, but I felt pretty good taking on the roll of County Line Road heading east.

Ridgeland, Mississippi must not have a lot of people who have disabilities - thank godness - because those organizations that look to see if the ADA is not being followed would have a field day here. I don't like running on sidewalks, but there weren't many TO run on. And there were a good bit of law enforcement on the roads.

I was certainly hoping not to be hassled about running out on the street. (I realized too that I wasn't carrying my driver's license. Cell phone? Yes.)

My run was stalled a little bit because I'd move from the road to the grass and back again.

On the return portion of the out-and-back, I slowed a little bit and I realize that I'll need to be very, very conservative on Sunday during the first eight (8) miles of the Med-City Marathon.

My time was 46 minutes, 11 seconds for 4.35 miles over this route. Wow! I just did the math -- 10:37/pace over the hilly course. Hmmm. I'll take it. I thought it was going to come up over 11 minutes per. Maybe some of this regular work that I'm doing is paying off.

As long as everything goes OK for me on Sunday, I'll tie Ben Harvie on the Seven Hills Running Club Marathon Honor Roll with 21 marathons or longer. [But Ben has probably gained about 48 more hours of his life during those events than me!]

Later today I get to come home and tomorrow is an incredible day ... Waverly turns 13!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

Happy Birthday Waverly!!

When are you headed out to the marathon? Will you be at the RTW on Saturday?

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home