Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday Night Treadmill

Yes, the treadmill is my new best friend it seems. Lose one, gain one I guess.

I only got 50 minutes in this evening, but it was better than a zero! Kept it easy (4.3 mph), but took the incline up to 1.5. It wasn't too bad.

I left the house early this morning (about 6:30'ish) to hang out at Luke's Locker with Bill and Andrew Perry. I watched the Beat runners and I think some of Kim's triathletes take off for an approximately 7-mile run, if I was listening closely. It was a beautiful morning out to run.

I got a chance to also visit with a long-time friend of Bill's, William Banes, and met a gentleman by the name of Ed Thompson - somebody who could give me a run for my money with numbers. (Which is kind of scary!) Nonetheless, a nice, nice guy. [He was sharing with me a story his wife and a Thanksgiving Run Thru The Woods 5M from 2002 and mentioned Susan Rouse's name. So, of course, I had to go find out who his wife was. She was formerly Trudy Regnier. Wait, she still is! Both Susan and Trudy that year were fourth in their respective age groups.]

They had both recently participated - earlier this May - in the 2nd annual Heels and Hills Half Marathon in Irving. Trudy took third in her 50-54 age group with a time of 2:03:41.

The rest of the day was spent to and from Beaumont's Montagne Center on the campus of Lamar University for the first of the many Duke Talent ID State Recognition ceremonies.

The speaker was former Delaware state senator and former City of Beaumont Mayor Evelyn Lord, who shared with the audience that she was 81 and just celebrated her 60th wedding anniversary. A 2005 alumni update on the Boston University web site stated this about her:

Evelyn Marlin Lord (CAS’48) of Beaumont, Tex., recently completed her fourth
term as mayor of Beaumont. A former Delaware state senator, she received the
Regional Leadership Award from the Southeast Texas Regional Planning Commission and the President’s Volunteer Service Award from First Lady Laura Bush.

And here is the link to the Congressional Record where Ted Poe recognized Lord in the House of Representatives after finishing up her fourth term at the helm of Beaumont's government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home