Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

8 Random Things About Me

My TIR teammates have lured me in as I normally don't do these types of things.

1. I consider myself to be a pretty boring person. Therefore, it surprises me - and sometimes overwhelms me - that God has blessed me with the hundreds of friends and acquaintances over the years.

2. While all the traveling that I do for work and to run appears very, very sexy (and has opened up opportunities for Waverly to see the country), it sometimes is a very lonely proposition - especially when I'm not one that a.) considers myself to be the life of any party and b.) sees there's no problem in dropping $20 for a few drinks. [When I see people spending $20 on drinks, I think to myself: "I can run a 5K for that."]

3. I'm a very passionate person and it will bother the heck out of me when I see a friend that is capable of doing something and doesn't - regardless of whether or I not know the reason for not achieving it. (Translated: I'll go to the ends of the earth to help you or see you succeed.)

4. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I wear my emotions on my sleeve.

4a. I'm very competitive on things that you would probably never ever know about or understand.

5. I was the first sportswriter in the nation to make former University of Houston quarterback Andre Ware - and current Houston Texans radio color commentator - a Heisman Trophy candidate in print. (I have a Heisman Trophy program, signed by Andre himself, acknowledging this, which was a gift from then UH sports information director Ted Nance.)

6. I was responsible for the creation of the Texas private and parochial high school football state rankings you see to today as well as the basketball rankings put together by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches (TABC).

7. During the third quarter of the 1979 Pittsburgh-Penn State game at Beaver Stadium in University Park, Pennsylvania (not State College), I wore an Arkansas "Hog Hat" on the sideline and got on national TV.

We had just moved to the suburban Pittsburgh area after living in Russellville, Arkansas for about six months. The "Hog Hat" was a going-away present from the folks at the hospital that my Dad worked at. He knew that former Arkansas head football coach Frank Broyles would probably be on the broadcast.

When we got to the Stadium, we confirmed this by checking with the TV truck before going into the Stadium. (How did I get on the sideline? My Dad and my grandfather, for years, shot pictures for a number of newspapers around Penn State.)

The funnier story from this is that my Mom and my grandmother were at the Mall shopping while the game was going on. They were in Sears. And all of the TVs had my picture on it and I think my Mom said something like, "Mom, there's Jon" or "That's my son! That's my son!". (My Mom calls my grandmother, "Mom", as she lost her mother during the tenth grade in high school.)

8. I believe that more can be conveyed - and sometimes tense situations dissolved - through a simple touch than any other form of communication.

The Rules:
A. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
B. People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
C. At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names. (Those that shared already, thank you for doing so - and those that choose to in the future, thanks in advance.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

I don't think this is the type of drinks you meant, but I spend $20 per month on Starbucks. I have to set myself at that limit of it could really get out of control. I hate what that adds up to in a year. I try not to think about it.

9:26 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Cassie, I'm guilty with Mountain Dew (which the sugar isn't any better than the alcohol); however, I can drink 16 liters of Mountain Dew what some people spend on two margaritas! :)

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home