Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sunday / Tuesday Treadmill

Sunday, of course, was Mother's Day and to all of you who are Moms -- a belated Happy Mother's Day wish to each and every one of you.

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a good bit of the day with my Mom. Waverly and I were in church with her for the 8:45 a.m. service, then we went to my parents' house until about 1 p.m. where we had lunch.

Mom's meat loaf and mashed potatoes sent me into a Sunday afternoon lull that put me on the bed for about a two-hour nap. However, I ended up getting my lazy butt moving and made it to the gym in time to log an hour on the treadmill.

30 minutes easy (at 4.3 mph), and then bumped it .2 mph every ten (10) minutes.

Then I joined my sister, brother-in-law and two nieces with my Mom and Dad for dinner at Pappasito's on the North Freeway I-45 location.

Last night, I cut the back yard -- and didn't make it to the gym at all. (I imagine that my back yard is probably a postage stamp compared to the Lampson Ranch.) :)

This afternoon, I squeezed in 44 minutes. Yes, 44. I have to be exact. I know I could have said 45 minutes -- and you wouldn't have known the difference. (I don't have one of those fancy GPS printouts to prove it.)

When I got to Bally's, there were two women on the treadmills to the left of me.

One woman was there Sunday afternoon and she was really hammering it. Then and today! I didn't recognize her, but eventually I'll find out who she is.

The woman to my immediate left, I have to say that I've seen her before. However, I didn't want to interrupt her in the middle of her run -- plus she had headphones on. Her legs looked familiar ... but I might get myself into trouble with that statement. :)

Seriously, as she was ending up her run, she had it cranked up to 7.0 mph but she didn't look like she was going that fast.

I mean I'm slow enough that I get "chicked" by 50-75% of any field that I'm running in, but I was a little challenged that "I don't think I'm doing enough".

So the first 10 minutes were the warm-up of 4.3 mph.

The next five -- when I spotted the 7.0 mph reading -- was 4.5 mph.

For the next 27 minutes, 9 sets of three minutes each, I increased the mph .2 to start the first 3-minute spell at 4.7 mph and then .1 mph each one after that. The last one I did was at 5.5 mph.

I figured that these were longer than a 400, progressively faster, without a rest.

But I wanted to try and get to 7.0 mph. Hmmmm.

Minute 43 was at 5.7 mph. I was OK. It was tough, but I handled it.

Minute 44 was at 6.3 mph. If I had done another couple of minutes here, I probably could have gone longer than 44.

I hit the setting to 7.0 mph, realized that I might have been in over my head, and tried to run for a few seconds while grabbing the top part of the treadmill. I soon realized that this was really awkward and unnatural so I backed off of things completely.

So put me down for 44 minutes on Tuesday!

New Asics Fortitude (bought 5/6): 4 miles, 2:44 on the treadmill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home