Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Now If I Could Only Run That Fast ...

I didn't have enough time to blog about it then; however, I think I pulled off the craziest feat - safely, albeit - that I have in awhile.

Our plane from Jackson didn't back away from the gate until about 5:20 p.m. and while I'm not even sure what time we landed, all I know is that I had to wait for two pieces of luggage before I exited the parking garage at Hobby Airport at 7:00 p.m. even.

Thirty-nine (39) minutes later, I was at gate E10, which is where the flight for Kansas City was scheduled to depart 12 minutes from its original 8:05 p.m. departure.

In fact, I had enough time to walk down to the Food Court area, get something to eat and finish it before we started to board the flight.

I would have made it in less time if there weren't lots of people that wanted to go anywhere from 45 to 55 mph on Interstate 45 going towards downtown Houston and then on the off ramp to Interstate 59 North. Thank goodness for the Hardy Toll Road and the fact that the Precinct 1 Constable's Office wasn't out patrolling this evening.

I still don't believe that I'm sitting in seat 2F of Continental 684 to Kansas City writing this.

I had a co-worker picking me up at KCI after a bag came in and then it is an early morning 7 a.m. planning session prior to our 9 a.m. meeting.

Then I get home, have a day to get ready for our trip to California!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home