Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Run The Woodlands 5K #205 Race Report ... and more!

Saturday was kind of like old times for me, in a sense.

Back in 2003 when I started to run, I would often hit the alarm at about 7 a.m., get out of bed, shower, and drive to The Woodlands to do a Run The Woodlands 5K. It helped keep me motivated as I got started - and preparing for my first half marathon in January 2004.

This weekend was a little bit of the same.

Waverly and I left the house at about 7:15 a.m., which put us at the race site near 7:35 a.m. It is always a good time seeing all of the people that I've come to know over the years -- Rick Cook and Mick Long were there from Luke's, Vincent Attanucci and his son, Matt, Dick Esselborn, Gary Van Kuiken, Tom McHale and his daughter, Elizabeth. These were just a few of the folks that I had a chance to say "Hello!" to before the race.

It was hot and humid, which isn't unusual for July, and the evening's dinner plus some post-workout beverages were still ever present as I started the race. Nothing too interesting about the race itself. It was pretty much like all of the other RTWs before. The splits tell kind of the same story:

Mile 1 -- 9:22.38
Mile 2 -- 9:52.71 (19:15.09)
Mile 3 -- 10:19.95 (29:35.04)
Last .1 -- 52.14 (30:27.18)

I thought to myself as I hit the mile 2 marker that I still had a chance to break 30 minutes as I needed a 9:40 per minute pace to do so, but it didn't happen. However, I did run better than the 30:56.88 that I had two weeks before in Austin at the 3rd annual Bat Run 5K.

And I'm running these times in hot and humid weather. Therefore, I'm inclined to think that when it gets cold again that I might be able to see 29s in my future. Although I'd love to do so in the hot weather. I'll get more opportunities, I'm sure.

Oh ... I almost forgot. I about had a first at Saturday's race. As I crossed the finish line and was about to tell Waverly what number I was, I almost puked! I could feel it coming on, and even went over in the bushes. However, it didn't happen.

After the race, we went over to Luke's Locker in The Woodlands to find Bill Dwyer to give him a copy of Tuesday's Courier with the headline of TWHS head track and cross country coach Dan Green. When I got there, Bill wasn't there, but his car was and the cooler was sitting outside of the store.

I'm sure that Bill was out getting a couple of miles in. I talked with Susie Schreiber and Cathy Steele for a little bit as the store wasn't technically open yet so I didn't feel like I was impeding on their business.

Mick said he thought that Bill and Dana-Sue Crews were somewhere in Market Street.

Waverly and I headed towards Starbucks. (Of course, there or Chipolte is where we'd find Kim Hager.) We headed straight to another one of Bill's favorite Market Street hangouts, Berryhill's. Sure enough, there was Bill, Dana-Sue, William Banes and George Roffe.

They were there to talk about the Saturday, January 31, 2009 Bill Crews Remission Run 5K. It is something that I'd invite all of you to put on your calendar. It will be to celebrate Bill's fifth year of remission from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, but it will also be designed to raise funds for the research that Bill's doctor is doing.

Basically, it turned into the race's first committee meeting. Lots of work ahead, but it will be a joy to be a part of this and make this into reality. We will begin contact with the City of Conroe to be able to host the event at Carl Barton, Jr. Park - the site of the day of Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5K.

This will come three weeks after our Montgomery County Endurance Athlete of the Year Awards and two weeks after the Chevron Houston Marathon.

We left Berryhill's to go have breakfast at Egg and I. (No, we didn't eat twice. lol)

As we finished, we saw and talked with Scott Mayer from Bill's "Texian Road Warriors" team for about 10 minutes. Good guy who's getting faster and faster. He'll make TIR '09 a challenge for the Battling Bloggers.

So later on in the evening, since we didn't travel to McCoy to see Rodney Hayden perform at his own Festival Saturday afternoon and evening, I made it back to the gym for the second straight day of "doubles".

I added 50 minutes on the treadmill at the regular 1.0 incline at 4.5 mph. Easy, but two workouts for the day. I slept pretty good last night. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

its funny that you sound disappointed you didnt puke!! :o)

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home