Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

30th annual Lunar Rendezvous Run 5K Race Report

I do races for a multitude of reasons, but primarily for the social aspect. I enjoy seeing and being around my friends.

I've run three races south of FM 1960 this year. They have been the Chevron Houston Marathon, the Resurrection Run 5K and today's 30th annual Lunar Rendezvous Run 5K. (Two of the other three have been to watch two of my TIR teammates do their first triathlon in Galveston and Pearland, respectively, while the third and final other non-running appearance was at the Bayou City Classic 10K.)

Why might that be, other than the price of gas?

Those two races are put on by Jay Lee and are greatly supported by On The Run and the Bay Area Running Club. It makes the drive worth it.

Before the race, I saw Jill Boston, hung out with John DiMarco and his son, Ryan, talked to Erin Foley and Gerardo Mora, and said hello to Brett Riley and On The Run store manager Chris Bittinger.

When I picked up my chip, there was Mr. "Triple Bypass" himself, Joe Carey, and soon on the scene was Ms. Sweden herself, Veronica Hoge. (She said she'd have my Mountain Dew for my third straight appearance at BARC Pub Crawl. I also owe Joe two beers for stealing BARCs eNewsletter technology. It's a good deal. Really.)

Right after I registered and got my chip from last year's most senior member of our TIR team, I turned to my right and who was there -- The Woodlands High School boys track and cross country coach Dan Green. Wow! There was a story. The 1972 Houston Marathon winner returning to competitive road racing at the age of 60! He showed up with Ben Harvie and Ben's son and he told me that he and Ben ran together at the University of Houston. (I learned something today that I didn't know.) Actually, Ben told me that his Dad, who passed away earlier this year, competed athletically for SMU.

Before I got to the starting area, I recognized Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon race director Robby Sabban and spoke with him about the situation that he had with a 50-and-older runner who basically cheated on the second loop of his marathon and used the time to qualify for Boston.

As I got to the starting area, I sought out Sarah. I knew she would be there as she is aiming to complete the BARC Challenge. That is, if her alarm clock didn't fail her as it did in 2005 when I ran the race. She was there talking to her friend, Debbie. (I think I've met her before.)

I joked with Sarah that I was going to stay away from her because we normally end up pushing each other too much. She responded and said that I could run with her as she wasn't going to be running all that fast.

Some days it is more important to stop and run with a friend than it is to try and run a top time and be disappointed with the effort.

So like on the Fourth of July, I ran with Sarah and we carried on a good conversation most of the way. That is, until the last half of a mile and then I kind of pulled Sarah into a strong finish.

I was hoping to get us in under 33 minutes chip time, but I had 33:03.44. [Correction: I forgot to take the 27 or so seconds between the gun and when I hit the line! Sarah pointed this out and I corrected it!] I had 52.56 for the last tenth of a mile. Sarah might have been just a bit longer, but not more than a second or two, which would translate to a 9-minute mile pace down the stretch.

I had our splits as this:

Mile 1 -- 10:14.65
Mile 2 -- 10:42.46 (20:57.11)
Mile 3 -- 10:46.16 (31:43.27)
Last .1 -- 52.56 (32:35.83)

As we were running in the first mile, I recalled about that being the race that I met Jessica Alexander for the first time ever in 2005.

I think I've gotten the most joy over the past four calendar years and very strongly remember running races with my friends.

I did the News and Sentinel Half Marathon in Parkersburg, West Virginia two years ago with Cassie.

Edwin ran the last many miles with me at the 2006 Surfside Beach Marathon.

I ran the first 9.3 miles with Bill in the 2007 AT&T Austin Half Marathon.

I did 20 miles - 19 together - at the Rocky Raccoon 100-Miler with Rick. (By the way, Happy Birthday today to Mr. Dirtrunner!)

So today was one of those days to be thankful for my health, my friends and being able to get back in time to meet Waverly at the church as she made it home for church youth camp today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

My watch, which I started as I crossed the start line, read 32:37. I added up your splits and got 32:35.

Thanks for running with me and pulling me hard through the finish!

11:24 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Doh! I started my watch when the gun went off and 27.61 peeled off.

I forgot to subtract that out of the gun time. It wasn't even that hot to make me think funny!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home