Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, July 07, 2008

Monday Mid-Afternoon Run at Home

You read that right. A mid-afternoon run. It started at 1:45 p.m. -- two hours after the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon sold out.

The route is 4.1 miles (although mapmyrun.com measures it as 4.26 miles) and I covered it in 46:11.51 - a pace of 11:15 per mile (10:50 per if you use the latter measure).

I did the first 1.79 miles in 18:20.91 - for a 10:15 pace and then ... I kind of slowed down in the heat. (The next 1.45 went by in an 11:19 pace.) I'll try to do the same tomorrow afternoon.

Evening update: I tacked on another hour on the stationary bike at Bally's from 9-10 p.m.

5 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

and you thought it wouldnt sell out! ;o)

7:13 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

:) You're right. I didn't.

I found it interesting, though, that the new transfer policy wasn't announced until after they sold out.

I'm thinking that a lot of people bought an entry thinking that they could sell it for a profit.

The bottom line is that they will now take at least a $20 loss (if they use the marathon's system), and the prospective buyer will be forced to pay the going rate. Playing both ends of the spectrum.

If this would have been disclosed when registration re-opened on April 1, I don't think they would have sold out so quick. People would have been more cautious. (I'll have to start watching the boards for reactions.)

Now the marathon can say it sold out earlier than ever before, they have a wait list of right now over 1,400, and they've now set themselves up to trade - as in the stock market - marathon entries.

If people were smart enough during registration to not put their name down to be displayed on their bib, they could still sell it to somebody that didn't care about their name being listed as a finisher.

I just don't like all of the slights of hand.

Jon

7:24 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm not at all surprised that it sold out. However, I agree about the way they waited until it sold out to announce the transfer policy. They obviously would have known that people would assume the same transfer policy as last year. If people knew that it would cost them $20 to transfer, I partially agree with Jon -- I still think it would have sold out, but not as quickly.

I registered for the Half very early (in January) knowing that on the off chance that I couldn't run due to travel or injury, I could sell it. I would have sold mine at cost, but that's beside the point.

Six months out, as far as I know I'll be in town and healthy so of course I'll be out there running, but I agree with Jon that it's pretty sketchy the way they held back the announcement about the change in transfer policy.

8:26 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

I was surprised so many of the entrants were running the marathon. Definitely interesting the upswing in marathon entrants. Of course, some of those can switch races before date X.

As far as the '08 race, it was strange that only 12,000~ toed the line that day.

7:37 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Doug, I just saw those numbers (getting here to Kansas city).

Without a publicly available confirmation database (like Chicago and Boston), there's no way to confirm those numbers.

What if they are holding a certain number of bibs for the Fit programs? But as soon as I say that, it would get out that they did that (so that wouldn't be the case).

I think the upswing in the marathon numbers is more from people speculating the entries.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home