Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Saturday Stationery / Sunday Treadmill

A few funnies to end the weekend ....

An applicant was being interviewed for admission to a prominent medical school. "Tell me," inquired the interviewer, "Where do you expect to be ten years from now?"

"Well, let's see," replied the student. "It's Wednesday afternoon. I guess I'll be on the golf course by now."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Doctor: "It's no good. I can't find anything wrong with you. It must just be the effects of drinking."

Patient: "I'll come back when you're sober then!" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long a minute is depends on what side of the bath-room door you're on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adolescence is a period of rapid changes.

Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Q: What do you do when a blonde throws a hand grenade at you?
A: Pull the pin and throw it back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome back. Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I hoped you enjoy them.

Saturday night, I made it to the gym late in the evening to crank out 40 minutes on the stationery bike (after the 5K earlier in the morning).

Today, I didn't get to my original goal; however, I made it to Bally's to register 51 minutes on the treadmill. Yes, another odd number. There's a logical explanation though.

10 minutes - 4.5 mph
10 minutes - 4.9 mph
10 minutes - 5.0 mph
10 minutes - 5.1 mph
10 minutes - 5.2 mph
1 minute - 6.2 mph
Crapped out in the 6.1 mph

Yes, I should have built up .1 mph per minute to close it. But I thought I'd try something different, and it hurt in a hurry. What was interesting though is that when I hit 6.2 mph it showed a 9:40 mile. If I had run as fast on the ground Saturday morning as I had in the last minute, there's no way I would have only run in the 30-minute range.

And it is still bumming me out that I can't slip back under the 30-minute barrier in the 5K.

And we know that Centerville isn't going to be an accurate measure of that on Friday.

I head back to Jackson, Mississippi in the morning for work. Home on Thursday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home