Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Run The Woodlands 5K #203 Race Report

Not too much to report here. It is warm. It was humid. Mile 1 was OK. The next two weren't. But unlike my business partner and TIR competitor, I ran it this morning. :)

I'm relentless in my pursuit of getting Bill to run these things. On the second loop of the Barbara Bush Elementary parking lot, I bellowed out to Bill, "I hope you've picked out a good trail shoes for Rocky in February."

On the first loop, it was just a simple, "Bill, you should be running this today."

Even Kim Hager agreed as I exited the parking lots for the pathways. I think I faintly heard a remark that Bill's uncoachable. Very true. :)

My effort today wasn't anything to write home about. However, since it is my job to write about, regardless of how painful it was, here it is -- 30:53.16.

Mile 1 -- 9:18.48
Mile 2 -- 10:12.17
Mile 3 -- 10:29.54
Last .1 -- 53.97

As long as it beat Ken Johnson's time at the Polish Pickle 5K Run in Bremond this morning, I'm good.

Mile 1 felt pretty good, including the downhill to the bridge. The worst part of the race came before we turned on to Alden Bridge though. I had to quit following the female runner who had some of the best looking calves that I've seen (and she was running on the forefront of her feet too.)

I thought mile 2 would have been the worse of the two as I stopped a little bit more than in the third mile. I caught Kim Driver's youngest daughter and asked her if Kim had dragged her out this morning. She confirmed my theory. (Kim graduated a year behind me at Spring High School and her family lives out in Montgomery.)

I was about ready to take another quick breather before the turn back into the parking lot, but darn ... there was Kim Hager cheering runners on in. I couldn't stop now!

What's fun about the $1 Run The Woodlands 5K race is the social opportunities that abound. Here's who I remember talking to or with a little bit:

+ Rick Cook
+ Vincent Attanucci
+ Paul "Skip" Moschell
+ Tim Vibrock
+ Donna Ryals
+ Karen Felicidario
+ Barry Blanton said "Hello"
+ William Banes

I saw the usuals - Mick Long, Stephen Smith, Kim Hager - but didn't get a chance to visit with any of them this morning.

Yes, the list is typically longer.

I'll write about our day on Friday a little bit later, but basically Waverly and I ran from the hotel to the gates of the Rose Bowl and back. About 3.2 miles roughly, and then I added another 30 minutes on the treadmill while she went to the room to shower for breakfast.

This was before a 6-hour drive to San Francisco, a 3-hour wait for our flight, the flight home and then not getting to bed until 2:30 a.m. this morning. (I just cranked out a yawn while typing the last sentence.) If we couldn't be in Squaw Valley, California this morning, it is just as good to be home.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

I might be looking forward to Rocky :)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Streaker said...

Yeah, Jon, you had a faster time at the RTW this morning than I did at the Polish Pickle 5K in Bremond. However, I won a 2nd place age group medal and drank good beer after the race. Did they run out of water again at the RTW?

9:16 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

If Bill wouldn't have brought his cooler - with 135 finishers, they would have. Unfortunately.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home