Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, June 23, 2008

More From Day 2 in San Francisco

This is a picture looking up at the Coit Tower. Before we went to it (even with reading the tourist material), I thought that it was a building like the Transamerica Pyramid (seen below), which resides in the Financial District.

From the Coit Tower, looking south, this is the Transamerica Pyramid. Even in the late morning, the upper reaches of the 98th tallest building in the world still had fog near the top. It was a cool and blustery day all day yesterday. I really had expected this building to be more physically imposing than what it was.

This will have to be a little bit of a lesson in photography for me. The goal was to get the street sign about the upcoming San Francisco Marathon to be more prominent while still catching the street sign, "Greenwich". Nonetheless, I took this picture with the Attanuccis in mind! (For any of you Yankees fans, I snagged a picture of a sign to the Joe DiMaggio North Beach Playground and Park.)

At Pier 45 of the Fisherman's Wharf is a submarine named the USS Pampanito (SS-383) and a liberty ship named the SS Jeremiah O'Brien. We ended up going on and around the SS Jeremiah O'Brien and found out that the liberty ships mainly were built during World War II and were heavily used during the storming of the beaches of Normandy (where my grandfather went aground on D-Day plus 2).

This may be the best picture that I was able to get of perhaps the biggest "attraction" that we didn't get a chance to do -- Alcatraz Island. Since you really need to reserve tickets for the cruises about two days in advance, we were on the outside looking in on this; however, I don't know that the world is going to stop for either one of us over it.

All in all, we've had a good time here. There's certainly a lot more to do in and around San Francisco, but we hit the high points. One fun, free thing to do in and around Pier 45 was the Musee Mecanique, a collection of old-time penny arcade games and related artifacts. This was a lot of fun to play some of the old games that I had never even seen before!

We rode the Cable Cars again late last night on the California line.

Today's a travel day down to Los Angeles. It is approaching 7:50 a.m. on Monday morning as I write this. I still have my Courier column to finish and send in, and then we'll be on the road.

I had a call from Rick Cook late in the evening last night wanting to see if I've heard of any local information regarding fires taking place on or near the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run course. (I saw this article on an Auburn, California web site, but it doesn't give a lot of current information.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home