Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday AM San Francisco Run

I didn't get too much sleep Saturday night even though it was a very long day and a lot of activity. Another hotel, another bed perhaps.

I really didn't want to go out and run, but what better way to see some of the city that Waverly and I hadn't already. I woke Waverly up at about 6:30 a.m. to let her know that I would be out from 45 minutes to an hour on a run. I didn't really have a plan in mind; however, I quickly put a little plan in to place.

The Marriott Courtyard is on Second Street in the south part of downtown about seven blocks west of the Bay (on the map) and a few blocks south of Market Street (for those that know the area well.) If you keep going south on Second Street here, you'll run smack into AT&T Park where the San Francisco Giants play baseball.

In honor of the city of San Francisco and its terrain, it was only natural to wear my new Seven Hills Running Club shirt.

I ran southwest down Folsom Street, right through the heart of what is known as SoMa (South of Market). It was mostly a quiet run all the way down to 14th Street. The temperature was cool (easily down in the 50s) and fog could be seen off in the northwestern part of the city.

Folsom Street is one of the hearts of the gay community in San Francisco. There was one bar - at 7 a.m. - that was still going strong. :) But I could have run naked during this run and nobody would have noticed (as most were asleep.) And there's probably a good chance that not too many people would have cared either.

At 14th Street, I was now heading due west to Dolores St. where I took a right up to Market Street. (Had I known that one of the oldest structures in San Francisco was two blocks south on 16th Street - Mission Dolores, close to the Castro section of the city - I would have altered my route a bit.) I crossed Market, took a good hill on Buchanan all the way to Haight Street.

Certainly, anyone who is familiar with the hippie movement of the late 1960s has heard of the Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco. I only went west to Pierce Street before I had passed about 30 minutes on my watch -- a definite sign to turn it back around. As a result, I was only in what is known as Lower Haight. The distinction between it and Upper Haight? Literally, elevation. One I wasn't quite in the mood to climb.

I did run into a pretty fair downhill to get back to Market Street, which I took all the way back to Second Street before making a right hand turn and heading south back to the Courtyard. Earlier in the run, between mile marker 2 and 3, there was a climb of approximately 150 feet - but not all at one shot!

Especially on Market Street, where the city had started to wake up a bit, I saw a lot of people looking at my Seven Hills shirt. If the web site activity picks up today, with referrals from California, Ken will know why!

MapMyRun.com put the run (link) this morning at 5.8 miles. The time on my watch was 56:34.01 for a pace of 9:45 per mile?! I'm pretty certain that at one point I forgot to restart my watch, as my legs felt a little heavy after all the mileage from the day before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home