Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Thursday's Travel Woes, Post No. 1,700 and Friday's AM Workout

Yesterday was another fun travel day. (Yes, you can hear the sarcasm wring from the word "fun" in that sentence I'm sure.)

I was scheduled for a 4 p.m. flight from Kansas City (MCI) to George Bush Intercontinental (I added the GB for all the Democrats in the crowd). I got there in time, but just barely for the 2:30 p.m.; however, when I went to check in and saw that there were four seats left, I tried to grab one. The system didn't respond in giving me one of them!

The gate agent helped me and she said that somebody else got the last one. I said, "Wait, there were four of them!" She explained that they had pulled three of them back for weight and balance issues. Well, I must admit I'd like to have made a flight that got off the ground safely!

So, then the fun began. (Again, all of you must think that I live a charmed life with all of the traveling that I do. If I could make the same kind of money and have the same type of job fulfillment with a local position, I'd seriously consider it; however, I get bored pretty easily. Yes, I need lots of stimulation.)

As the time for the 4 p.m. departure approached, there was no incoming plane. At some point (I didn't keep track of the time), they told us that because of thunderstorms in the greater Houston area that the plane coming to us hadn't even left yet. Lovely!

We didn't leave until about 7 p.m. and I didn't get home until about 9:45 p.m. No Bally's workout last night for me -- as it closes at 10! (The one in Pasadena, California next week close to where I used to work closes at midnight. I only ride the stationery bikes there. The hotel has a pretty good treadmill.)

You're reading post no. 1,700 since December 2004. And, yes, I'm happy that the blog is private and this one will never come public again. :)

So, I made it to Bally's this morning and got in 41 minutes and change on the treadmill and 25 minutes on the stationery bike. (Waverly put in an hour on the recumbent bike, but I chided her a little bit for not working up much of a sweat.)

We went to The Egg & I for breakfast in The Woodlands afterwards, and while I was waiting, I called Kim Hager and left a message on her cell phone to congratulate her for her age group winning effort at Ironman 70.3 Kansas in Lawrence on Sunday.

An update to my July 12-13 Austin weekend, Jessica Alexander said that she might go out to run the Toughest 10K in Texas with me in Lampasas. She said that "if I asked nicely". Hmmm ... when have I done anything but that? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home