Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

San Antonio Boasts

Those of you who are registered for the San Antonio Rock 'N' Roll Marathon and Half Marathon should have received your monthly e-Newsletter.

In it, the following sentences appeared on the far left-hand corner:

Not a runner or walker? You can still be a part of the race! With over 20,000 marathon and half marathon participants, we need your help with every aspect of the event.

Team up with your friends or family and make it an experience you won’t forget.

Did you catch the number? 20,000.

That's right. Just a pair of thousand more than Houston.

I'll believe the number of finishers from both races when I see them, but that's a heck of a boast.

I had one gentleman on the plane to Kansas City last Wednesday night (with a bag with an El Paso Corporation tag on it ... i.e. biased) ask me if I was running Houston this year. I was wearing my 2008 t-shirt. I was thinking a little bit like, "Doh. We're in Houston. Might as well run it."

I told him that I didn't think that it would sell out. He assuredly said that it would.

72% as of tonight equals 12,960 with 5,040 spots left to sell.

I think that the economy is going to cause it to fall short, but I could be wrong. We'll see. I've been wrong before.

6 Comments:

Blogger doug spence said...

I don't see any reason why it won't sell out. You'll get the Fit teams boost when they start their programs.

I would be surprised if more than 6,000 run the marathon.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Manny and I just signed up for the half on Sunday.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

It was at 74% yesterday and just now showed 79%.

I guess some are taking advantage of the cheaper rate that expires today.

I havent registered yet, but will here in the next few weeks I guess. Waiting for that bonus money to come in.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It's almost at 90% and the FIT groups haven't even officially kicked off their season yet. It will definitely sell out, and SOON.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

Well as of this morning, its at 99%. I'd be willing to bet today is the sell out day.

And I can bet you also that there will be A LOT of people that are pissed off cause they procrasinated again this year and havent signed up.

8:30 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

What I'd like to know is two things: 1.) will there out of town finishers increase and 2.) will their number of transfers go up?

I don't see the first because of the economy.

I think you'll see the second - whether they choose to release that information or not - because I think some people bought an entry to sell it, which I don't really care for.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home