Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wednesday's Physical Activities

Even though we've put a lot of miles on our feet this trip, I felt kind of guilty yesterday of not having run. Mind you, I can't do what Ken Johnson or Vincent Attanucci do - and that's run at least a mile every day.

If you really think about it, it really isn't that hard to do. (Gentleman, that isn't to take anything away from your accomplishment at all. I think it is absolutely incredible.) Go to the track every day, run four laps and go home. Pretty simple in theory, but much, much harder to stick to and put into practice. (I've talked about my "have to go for about an hour to make it worthwhile" theory before.)

Wednesday morning, while Waverly got a little extra sleep, I put in an hour on the treadmill here at the Marriott Courtyard in Pasadena from about 9 to 10 a.m. I kept it easy. Different treadmill model. 4.3 mph for 40 minutes and 4.5 mph for 20 minutes.

After going out to Simi Valley to go to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum, we drove down the 405 to Santa Monica. We drove over to the beach, saw the famed Santa Monica Pier and then rented a pair of bikes for an hour - and got in nine casual, leisure miles.

We rode down to part of Venice Beach and then back up north of the Santa Monica Pier.

On the weekends, it's been said that it is one of the many places to see and be seen at.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

I LOVE Santa Monica Pier. Manny went there nearly every weekend in the summer when he was a little kid to go fishing with his Auntie :)

5:45 AM  
Blogger Vince A. said...

And lets give props to Ken who logged consecutive day number 2000 last week. I might not make it.

12:50 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

You have to make it. It has already been written in the TWRC club report for the July/August issue of Inside Texas Running. :)

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home