Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Western States 100 Cancelled

The fires in Northern California have claimed its latest victim: the Western States Endurance Run. For the first time in its 35-year history, the race will be cancelled.

I've talked to Rick quite a bit over the last day and obviously he's pretty bummed. He has busted his ass to put himself into a position to finish the granddaddy of trail running.

Waverly and I were both very excited about the prospects of this weekend. Our plan was to meet Rick in Auburn so he could drop his rental car there at the finish and then we were going to stay in a condo that he rented for Thursday and Friday.

We have with us the Houston Running Bloggers banner (yes, it fit in the suitcase) as well as The Woodlands Running Club banner.

They were going to be used for pre- and post-race pictures.

I specifically had also not written about the event in my Courier column so that I wouldn't jinx Rick's finish (not that it really mattered, but why let things to chance?) I also have the same type of deal with Kim Hager.

We're as disappointed about not being able to spectate and cheer Rick on as he is about not being able to run in the event.

Waverly and I both looked at each other last night at dinner wondering what we were going to do. We don't have hotel rooms planned now as our flight home isn't until Sunday evening.

The race will be making some decisions about the 2009 race as soon as possible. Personally, I think that the 2008 entrants should get to run the 2009 race since it is clear that race officials never had a backup plan in place. It is one thing that the Chevron Houston Marathon can't simply shut down one week and do it over the following week, but I can't imagine that a race of this magnitude hadn't thought this whole thing through.

The race did the right thing from a safety standpoint, but its response over the coming days is how they'll be judged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home