Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Pretty Productive Day

Last night, I ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill and rode the bike for 15 minutes while I'm trying to work through the final stages of a blister on the bottom of my left foot -- the remnants of Marathon 2 Marathon last Saturday.

Nonetheless, Friday was a fairly productive day as I got done the following:

+ Took Waverly to school so that she could be at their Special Effects choir practice at 7:30 a.m.
+ I then went across FM 2920 to Tomball (with a little help from Bill Dwyer on the phone as to where the polling place was) so that I could cast my ballot in the '08 presidential election.
+ I came back FM 2920 and down Steubner Airline so that I could go and take of the state registration for my truck that was way overdue. How overdue? I was driving around with a "03 08" sticker.
+ I then headed over to Kuykendahl and south of FM1960 to Midas where I had my oil changed and got the truck inspected. Yes, that was overdue too. But that was just "06 08". I know: Not a great example.
+ I stopped and had breakfast at IHOP at 10 a.m. on FM 1960 near I-45.
+ After I was full, I stopped in and saw Ken at Bike Lane about a road bike.

I came home, got a few things done and took a little bit of a nap. Then in the afternoon, I clicked off the following items:

+ Stopped at McDonald's in Spring to connect to wireless and submit my time and expenses.
+ Dropped my expense envelope in the mail at the Spring post office.
+ Drove down the Hardy Toll Road, over to I-45 and down to Allen Parkway to go to Luke's Locker on West Gray to pickup a packet for a Woodlands Fit member and register Jay Hilscher - yes, the TIR Jay Hilscher - for the Houston Half Marathon on Sunday.
+ I came back up, got Waverly and we went to James Coney Island to get something to eat.
+ Then I went back to Bike Lane to pick up my new Red Canondale! (I also saw some guy named Bill Dwyer there ... with his camera!)

So, why would I need a road bike like that?

I have something called the MS150 in my future.

Yes, I signed up last week (primarily because the company that I work for, CSC (or Computer Sciences Corporation), is putting a team in. And since the Tour de France team that the company sponsors had the Tour de France winner, I thought now would be a good time to take on the challenge.

From the Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic, there will be Cassie, Manny, Joe, Jessica and myself that are definitely doing the MS150.

So if you can "spot me a dollar" for the MS150, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to the creativity of "Dirtrunner" Rick Cook, that's going to be my goal: How many people can I get to give me a dollar to reach the minimum $400 fundraising goal?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great challenge - Ron and I will each be happy to contribute towards your goal.

Karen

6:02 PM  
Blogger Flicka said...

Bring Jay by the BARC tent to say Hello on Sunday and I'll give you $4 from Da Hoge clan. $5 if you're willing to count Flicka T(he) Cat towards your goal.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

If you post the site, I'll give you a dollar. Are you sure that's all you want?

Also -- Team CSC. That's funny. You realize there's a Tour de France team called CSC too...

10:03 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

CSC is who I work for: Computer Sciences Corporation

And that is kind of the reason I'm doing it, because our company was the co-sponsor (with Saxo Bank) of the team with the rider that won it.

Our local Houston office had a team last year and CSC donated $10,000 as a company last year. So I figured, "What the heck? Why not."

And yes, a $1 from 400 or more different people. Just another way of me doing something different. The bottom line is: I HATE asking for money. But I figure a dollar is painless for anybody. Rick came up with the "Will you spot me a dollar?" question.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home