Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Weekend Reset

I'm in Jackson, Mississippi this morning and I'm hurting a little.

I have a fair-sized blister on the bottom of my left foot (kind of where the one from two weeks ago was) that makes walking normally a bit of a challenge. I guess it is a reminder that I shouldn't be walking as much as I have the last two marathons. Would you agree? :)

I saw Rick Cook on Sunday afternoon in The Woodlands before I went to our Remission Run 5K meeting and I told him that I doubt that I would be a go for the Miracle Match Marathon in Waco. He said he wouldn't believe me until he heard from me on Friday. I'm thinking that the dream to run all of the Texas road marathons in a single running season may be going by the wayside.

If this blister doesn't go away, it is a definite; however, chances otherwise are about 95%.

Congratulations to Ron and Karen Berglund of Kingwood as they finished the Denver Marathon on Sunday in 5:42:45 and 5:44:43, respectively.

I went on Sunday afternoon to try and look for (and subsequently buy) a road bike. However, Bike Lane (at FM 1960 and I-45) was closed. I'll be there on Friday. I need to make a decision and start getting some saddle time as soon as possible. No, there's not an Ironman (or a Half one, at that) in my immediate future, but something that is a significant challenge for me. More on that later.

I got back from west Texas on Sunday morning, went straight from IAH to church and then went home a took a little bit of a nap (especially knowing that Penn State was still No. 3 in the college football rankings.). Little bit equalled about three and a half hours.

After taking care of a few things, Waverly and I met Dana-Sue Crews, Sandra Sutherland, Jim Braden, Rick Ames, Jill Mills, Frank Rizzo and Lisa Henthorn to discuss details about the Bill Crews Remission Run 5K at Carl Barton, Jr. Park in Conroe on Saturday morning, January 31, 2009.

It was a good meeting at Papa's Ice House in Spring and it led right into the Light The Night Walk Pre-Party that began at 6 p.m. (which I was invited to by Bill Dwyer).

The event, benefitting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, was a prelude to the actual event next Sunday night at Market Street in The Woodlands. With kind words from South County YMCA marketing director Roxanne Davis and Bill, I will be introducing the teams as they begin their walk to commemorate those who have lost their battle with blood cancers and celebrate those who have battled the cancers and are still on the winning side. (For those of you who were at TIR, it will be a little bit more of a formal introduction - like was planned - but without a gong!)

Speaking of the Texas Independence Relay, I got a chance to see John Laskowski and meet his wife and son at the Light The Night event. John is now two weeks less from doing his first Ironman at IM Florida. Even though he's a Texan Road Warrior ... he has busted his ass in preparation (he had completed an 80-mile ride earlier that day) and will certainly be deserving of the Ironman designation when he finishes.

On the other hand, one of our new Battling Bloggers, Niki Bellnoski, will be attempting her first 100-miler next weekend at the Cactus Rose 100 in Bandera.

Finally, at the LLS "Sing With The Band" event, Bill made a donation to hear Waverly sing Taylor Swift's "Tim McGraw" and she hit a home run! She looked like she was right at home on stage and her hand on the microphone.

I'll have pictures later on in the week or unless Bill gets his posted on his blog before!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

If you want bike selection assistance I'm off on Friday :)

6:54 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

Miracle Match is a bitch of a course. It looks like they changed it a bit since 2006, as the entrance to MCC is different, but that doesn't make it any less challenging from there to the Brazos River.

Have your own support ready at the Lover's Leap area as the water stations went unmanned.

In 2006, it was a poorly managed course. Hopefully, they won't put some girl to lead y'all in stretching before the race starts.

I was probably in the best shape to do a marathon for that race, then I ran SA two weeks later and almost PR'd.

If your tootsies aren't ready for Waco, it just ain't worth doing it. The hills will kill your blistered feet.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home