Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Race Start National Anthems

I was pulling into the Rite Aid to pick up some water before getting to the office in Jackson this morning when I heard a song from the new country group, Lady Antebellum.

It reminded me that they would be singing the national anthem at the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday.

Well, she sang a song with Rodney Hayden at the end of the Texas Independence Relay so I guess that was good enough for Waverly to snare a repeat performance at the 30th annual Huntsville Half Marathon on Saturday morning.

She's going to work with her choir director, Michael Feris, on Friday during their before school S/X practice to touch up on the song so she can do an excellent job on Saturday. If you're of that ilk, please keep Waverly in your prayers as she performs.

If you aren't running it, the Seven Hills Running Club needs your help in volunteering on the course. Vice president Ken Johnson told club members this week in an e-mail that he's expecting more than 400 runners! Wow! Some of it comes as a result of Ed Chance and FEMA's unfortunate thrashing and subsequent postponement of Ten For Texas.

Me? I'll be in Huntsville bright and early at 6 a.m. on Saturday and will be doing finish line announcing - testing my knowledge of who all I know without having to look at a list of bib numbers and names. Should be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home