Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Super Cooper Heart Run 5K/1M Race Report

Deep in the heart of coon ass ... I mean ... cajun country: Lafayette, Louisiana!

Waverly and I participated this morning in the Super Cooper Heart Run. The race raises funds for the Cooper Life Fund, which is a nonprofit organization created with an objective to develop methods of raising money for charitable heart organizations. John and Ashley Fontenot founded the organization after their son Cooper was born in 2004 with a congenital heart defect. Cooper spent many weeks in the hospital and when he was only 9 days old, he endured several hours of open-heart surgery. He is alive and well today because of great medical care and because of intensive cardiovascular research.

Perfect weather for running this morning -- somewhere between 38 and 45 degrees at the start and finish. The race fees were fair -- $20 for the 5K and $10 for the 1-mile (which is what they will be for the January 31, 2009 Bill Crews Remission Run 5K at Carl Barton, Jr. Park in Conroe.)

Since Waverly is running the 1-mile with my niece, Haylee, on Thursday at Run Thru The Woods, we both felt it would be a great idea for her to get a mile in on the roads. For not having raced in awhile and just going out there and running, Waverly did great!

It's been almost three years since she trained for the half and it was then that she put down a 10:20-something or 10:30-something mile. We talked about her running in control so that she didn't walk at all (which she said that she didn't do.) Her plan was to see what her half mile split was and then try to beat it on the way back. And she did!

Half mile out -- 6:00.08
Half mile back -- 5:59.26
Mile -- 11:59.34

After the 1-mile was finished, there was less than a 15-minute wait until the start of the 5K.

The course was an out, do a loop in a subdivision, come out of the subdivision, take three left turns and a loop in another subdivision and back through the first one. The course map, from the local Cajun Road Runners Club, is here.

This was a really well-administered race. The course was pretty much completely flat with lots of straightaways, except for the loops in the subdivisions. And a course like that usually yields pretty good times.

How about 29:02.66? Actually, I'm not stunned, and I don't think the course was short.

I ran a really good race. The weather, of course, was to my liking, and the three marathons (including the one DNF) may have paid off a little bit.

Mile 1 -- 9:15.51
Mile 2 -- 9:23.85

I have to admit that I was a little surprised to hear the guy say 18:38 at the mile marker, but I was doing the math in my head and I'm thinking, "Hmmm ... that's 28 through the first three."

I also remembered what Bill has repeated Kim Hager saying before, "It's a race. Its supposed to hurt." That kept me from giving in during mile three even though I may have felt like it.

Mile 3 -- 9:32.37
Last .1 -- 50.93

I ran the tangent - right before the mile three marker - across the blocked off intersection while people hugged the outside right hand side of the street (with traffic). And I also thought that I was going to throw up as I came close to the finish. Guess that means I was running hard -- or had a bagel too close to the race!

Total -- 29:02.66

My chiropractor didn't want me running hard this weekend, but the adjustment I'm sure helped some. We'll see about tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Nick Saban's the only person I've known to get in trouble for using the coonass reference... http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16911090/
Great run!

6:13 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Pat, that's why this blog is private! :)

I figured Rick Cook would have gotten the biggest laugh out of it.

I honestly didn't know that it was considered derogatory; therefore, if I really did offend someone, it wasn't intended. I knew it was slang, but not derogatory.

Seriously, they're great people here, just like in Mississippi.

Thanks for the kudos on the run!

9:03 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

I was offended by the term once. We were at Sunday school at a church in Angleton. There was a new couple there. They said their name and the last name was something that would make someone think it was, well, you know. A man in the class turned around and said (loud enough for everyone to hear) "What is that, is that coonass?" I thought it was inappropriate in that setting.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home