Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, November 17, 2008

A New Talent for Waverly?

Saturday morning, Bill and I, Karen Felicidario and her daughter, Emma, Waverly and her friend, Natalia and Holden Choi manned the ~mile 8 water stop during the Ten For Texas race.

Once Ten For Texas had to change their date and Bill and I both knew that their numbers were going to take a major hit, we decided to take a leadership role and reach out to the race that we would put on a water stop. (We had hoped that we would encourage more to do so although our team of eight did great! I think we're figuring at that water stop that about one person per 100-125 runners is appropriate.)

As I've said before, since we decided to reach out, I wanted the last water stop - for multiple reasons. At that point, the field is stretched out so from a pure water stop perspective you're not getting crushed by runners.

Additionally, that separation allows you to see how the race has pretty much developed -- and it is a great time to cheer people on.

I think everyone had a LOT of fun and I know that there were people that were coming in to the stop with smiles on their faces. I was up front cheering runners on and taking pictures. I was also telling them "water in the front and Gatorade in the back." Of course, some - including a certain Luke's Locker store manager - were wearing headphones and couldn't hear you even with a bullhorn. [I think running shoe store employees should be leaders as it comes to following the rules of a race. Just my opinion.]

For Waverly and her friend, Natalia, it also allowed for them to claim two hours and 45 minutes of volunteer credit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home