Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

First Weekend of December / TIR Update

My work has been kicking me in the rear end. I've taken over as the Interim Manager of the Medicaid unit at the hospital that I'm doing consulting work at.

Just trying to make sure that claims are getting sent out the door, denials are getting worked and followed-up on and money is coming in the door. This hospital has collected over $40 million a month the last three and there has been a $50 million increase in cash the last 12 months versus the previous 12 months. Amazing what working smarter will do for you. :)

Nonetheless, I've been exhausted. Waverly got a little sick after last week and weekend's activities. Therefore, she didn't go to the gym with me this evening.

I got in a nice and steady hour long run on the treadmill while reading Masters Athletics and Trail Runner magazines. I had Running Times ready to go. (I need to repeat the hour run at about mid-day on Friday.)

So ... Sunmart is Saturday. Am I running it? I'm not ready for it, but I've never let that get in the way of some fun. However, I think that I am going to spectate it and cheer runners on. I get a lot of joy out of that and will have a lot of pictures to put in Facebook albums for people to see.

However, I'll probably go to Austin to run the Austin Runners Club Decker Half Marathon on Sunday morning.

In other news, our TIR teams are beginning to shape up a little.

Here's the latest:

1.) We lost Nick and Niki Bellnoski to take us down to 22 runners. Nick was hurt and had surgery done on one hip - and Niki said he was due to have surgery on the other in February. Niki works at Luke's store in Katy and, of course, their being a sponsor and that store being open for the race, Niki will have to work. I hoped that she would be able to dodge it, but it wasn't to be.

2.) I had extended an invite to June Vidrine once we lost Nick, but I didn't get around confirming things with June on Thursday that she would not be able to fulfill that spot.

3.) In the meantime, Jill Boston had inquired about the open spot. However, I couldn't commit anything to her until I heard from June. I sent Jill an e-mail today. She responded, said that she was still interested and would have to check on a scheduling conflict with her work with Team In Training.

4.) All the while, I had a recommendation from Ken Johnson about Texas A&M University professor, runner and triathlete Gary Kunkel. I think Gary is in his 50s. Here was a note that I got from him today, "I just ran the New York City Marathon on November 2. My time was slower than I had hoped, but as is typical for me. I was undertrained for that distance (one 20-miler, longest weekly mileage of 35 miles). I did 4:01:59, after conking out around mile 18 or so. My next race is the half marathon in Austin (the one associated with the marathon in mid-February.) Two years ago, I did that in 1:38. Maybe I can make it in 1:40??"

By the way, Gary has accepted our invitation and will fill that number 23 spot. Jill would get us back to 24.

I have had one notice from a team member about a potential injury that may preclude them from participating. I'm going on the record that the next open spot will go to Jakeb Stunz, Tommy's son.

I have also asked to see if Edwin's wife, Donna, would be interested in driving one of the vans. (Edwin on one team. Donna driving a van for the other team!)

It's time to get excited about this again!

1 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

hahaha, she can't stay awake that long.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home