Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm an ISFJ and What It Means?

Does this sound like anybody you know?

The dominant quality in their lives is an abiding respect and sense of personal responsibility for doing what needs to be done in the here-and-now. Actions that are of practical help to others are of particular importance to ISFJs. Their realism, organizing abilities, and command of the facts lead to their thorough attention in completing tasks. ISFJs bring an aura of great warmth, caring and dependability to all that they do; they take their work seriously and believe others should do so as well.

Usually I scoff at personality tests, except when they probably nail me to a T.

The “I” stands for Introvert and it represents how I get my energy. Meaning I don’t get it from having to be around and feeding off of other people. (There were ten questions and all ten of them were in the “I” category!)

The “S” is for Sensing and it is how I take in information as opposed to being Intuitive, which would have been an “N”. (This was the second strongest where the questions lined up 15 for the “S” and 5 for the “N”.)

The next two weren’t so widespread, but enough to be significant, I guess.

The “F” is for Feeling as opposed to “T” for Thinking in how we make decisions. That kind of surprised me. As did the “J” versus the “P” for Judging and Perceiving.

I would have thought that I fit this question better: “Are you objective, impersonal, interested in goals and ideas (Thinker)?” But it says that I lean more this way: “Or are you more friendly, personal, interested in others, and are comfortable with deep emotions (Feeler)?” Now that you put it *that* way, perhaps I would agree.

Here’s the “J” and “P” questions: “Are you organized, work-comes-first, decisive person (Judger)?” or “Or are you an adaptable, spontaneous person who prefers to explore the possibilities (Perceiver)?” I guess I think that I’m a little of both, but the “Judger” makes more sense of who I am.

So the Meyer-Briggs system pegged me.

If you know of any of this, the other managers are ESFJ, ENFJ (2), ESTJ, XSTJ, ESXJ (S) - that is, of those employees of the hospital that I'm working at/with.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

It is thought-provoking observations like this that makes us glad that we are included amongst your readers. I have taken variations of the Meyer-Briggs tests in group training a number of times over the past 25 years. Some were explicitly using the letters, others were using some kind of color coding. (e.g. True Colors). Most recently I came out as an INTP, but I have more commonly been INTJ or INFJ. There are a number of books out that work through this system (“Please Understand Me” being one of the oldest). I have seen the True Colors Scale gaining a lot of steam as it seems to be less exclusive, and allows the trainer to break up the folks into four easy to manage color groups (based upon the dominant color). In that scale, I was Green Blue Gold Orange, in order of dominance (or the Owl, when they assigned animals).

There are a lot of opportunities and problems with the whole classification approach. I used this in my own company ten years ago as a means of making job assignments. I had found that some folks hated making phone calls, and others love doing so. On the other hand, some liked spending long hours working with data and models. When we did the Meyers-Brigg exam, those differences were made explicit. We were able to distribute the assignments to the employees favoring the likes and trying to avoid the dislikes. This worked out really well, and was probably the best change I had made during that time.

However, the big danger occurs when these are used inappropriately (profiling). As a young engineer years ago, when I was first exposed to the Meyer-Briggs system, the company found that one of the Senior VPs was making promotions based upon the candidate’s profile (similarity to his). When this same VP terminated an employee who then claimed that it was because the VP had profiled his job, and determined that he did not fit the profile, the whole program was cancelled. Profiling may have its place when looking for a salesman, or accountant type personality, but can be very risky.

Also, very often, there becomes a perception that there is a certain desired pattern in a company (usually that of a senior manager or department head), and then everyone starts trying to second guess the test questions so that they meet the desired profile.

Finally, when I took the tests home and had my family take them, it caused no end of problems as we saw that we all had distinctly different personalities but we had no idea how to respond to them.

But, being the odd man out has a lot of value, when only that personality type favors the job at hand.

In any case, if any of your other readers were interested in taking the test, there are several online locations where one can get a limited read of their profile. I tested myself and was able to reproduce my general patterns.

Meyer-Briggs.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

True Colors
http://www.truecolorscareer.com/quiz.asp

These next three sites give some explanation of the True Colors Approach.

http://www.truecolorscareer.com/pForm1.asp

http://true-colors.com/TCSite/whyusetruecolors.html#

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~aperreau/TC.html




Ron

1:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

I was an INTJ when I took the test about 20 years ago...I'm curious if that would change if I took it today.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home