Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, February 06, 2009

It's Always Somebody

Last weekend was pretty good, I worked hard with part of a team to put on the Bill Crews Remission Run 5K. On pretty much all accounts, it was a major success. We put on a race, but it was about the cause. There were almost 10 cancer survivors that participated in the 5K itself and there was one cute young lady, a 7-year-old cancer survivor, that helped Bill's wife, Dana Sue, hand out awards for the kids.

We, however, had one village idiot.

An individual e-mailed Bill Dwyer four times in the span of three hours asking why his time was off two minutes. He sends one within that span to the organizer, Dana-Sue, and while we were taking time to research it, feeling like he was getting the cold shoulder and that there was a cover-up going on, he then posts a public message to his Facebook account asking if the event was mis-timed?

I responded, but he thinks that I accused him of cutting the course (which I didn't). It was actually an incomplete thought. I needed to post something in the public domain, since he took it there, to ensure that the all wasn't lost on the good day that we had.

A serious of e-mails were traded in the next two days that didn't produce healthy results.

It was really just stupid in that he could have been patient before going out and starting to slam an event that will probably make at least a $5,000 donation to cancer research. Not bad from an event that had 28 registrants on December 30. (306 in both events was the number after registations on packet pickup day and race-day registration.)

But it robbed me of the joy that came from doing something that I didn't need one bit of credit on.

First, it was a Steve who lied.

Next, it was a Steve who I don't know what their issue really was at the time. Jealous of recognition that I got? I don't know. The bottom line is that I still don't trust him, and probably never will. That individual's e-mail is blocked and so is my Facebook information from him.

And, now it's an Ed.

I didn't produce an eDeerTracks for The Woodlands Running Club last week because as soon as I stepped off a plane from Jackson, Mississippi last Friday I was on my way to Conroe to make final preparations at Carl Barton, Jr. Park.

But I won't this week or any other. (So Joe, no more War and Peace documents from me; however, thank you for the compliments. They were flattering and appreciated. And your efforts inspired me.)

Most people had no clue that I did it. They thought Bill did, which was perfectly OK with me because I enjoy "flying under the radar". The two of us got some good chuckles out of it.

I also had a call from somebody this week about a business in our sports that did something that was just absolutely unimaginable. It attempted to go back on its word very late in the game.

Why? My thought to the individual who shared it with me was jealousy.

I'm tired. I've done a lot, but I honestly don't want an ounce of credit. I prefer that people don't know what or all that I do. My joy and satisfaction comes from knowing that people have enjoyed something that I've been a part of, even if the only tangible benefit is intrinsic.

I also believe in treating people right. I think that has paid off in the number of true friends that I have.

I probably won't be out at Rocky Raccoon this weekend so my best wishes go out to Karen, Pete, Misty, Russell, Robin and others who will be attempting their first 50-miler. If I can cover the distance (I didn't necessarily say how), you can too! Kudos to you for even signing up and trying something that others don't have the balls or guts to.

That's all for now. Have a great weekend.

Oh, so nobody worries, my focus is completely towards the Texas Independence Relay weekend even though I have Surfside to run and I will be writing the Austin Marathon story for Inside Texas Running. I'm pretty excited about that.