Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, January 07, 2005

Thursday's Run / Miscellaneous Thoughts

Much better!

I typically run on Thursday nights near our church, North Park Baptist Church on Theiss Road in far north Houston, while my daughter, Waverly, practices basketball. However, it was a tad bit cold for my liking. I drove to Humble planning to run on the treadmill at Bally's, but they were all full when I arrived there.

Instead they have a track that if you complete 13 loops of it, you will run a mile. Doing my best John Yoder impersonation, I covered the first 26 laps in 19:48 (and change), walked two laps, then did an additional 26 laps (two miles, of course) in 20:28 (and change). An overall pace of 10:04 per mile (9:54 and 10:14 paces on each set of loops). I'll take it, feeling like I had run fairly strong.

Getting home (the earlier running took place between 7:50 and 8:35 pm) after picking up Waverly from basketball practice, I felt the urge to put in a couple of more miles. This time: outside in the near 40 degrees weather.

This time, I did a 2.1-mile loops in 21:58.87, a pace of 10:28 per mile. It felt a little better than that, but it still felt good compared to Monday and Tuesday's runs. My only concern is that I seem to have picked up a side stitch on my right side that I can't shake. It was more pronounced in the cold weather outside.

6.1 miles. Good pace. I'm getting ready well for Houston.

Miscellaneous: It looks as if we'll be getting the PIM Fitness group for a pre-marathon picture in front of the Toyota Center on Sunday "marathon morning". What a great way to get everyone motivated and excited! ..... There was a note on Karen Thibodeaux's site about a new HARRA 6K cross country championship that is to occur on Sunday, February 6th. I hope the date is right as I'm getting ready to send in my entry fee to the Lake Houston YMCA Bridge Fest ..... Speaking of race entry fees, I was thinking how much of a "no brainer" the Run The Woodlands 5K Series is. You can do 24 5K's over 2005 at a total cost of $24. No T-shirt, but for $25 next Sunday, you do one (1) 5K and get a T-shirt. Like I said: "no brainer"! ..... Eagerly awaiting the January 2005 edition of the Houston Striders' Stridelines newsletter ..... Am getting logistics lined out for marathon day. A friend of my family, J. Barry Shevchuk, will be pacing my daughter, Waverly, in the Houston Press 5K. And I'll be announcing shortly who I will have pacing me the last 6-8 miles once I turn onto Woodway during the marathon ..... Which do I buy with my $100 gift certificate to Luke's Locker? A new pair of trail shoes or put it towards a good watch that will keep split times (or perhaps one of the GPS models)?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GPS, GPS! I love my Garmin (I've got the 201) and it has changed my running dramatically. Even if you have to put in your own $$ for the extra. GPS, GPS!!

-c
TxSkatemom
http://hooha.org/skatemom

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home