Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

King of Jester 5K Race Report

The King of Jester 5K in Austin was the start of something that I've done for the 5th time (run more than one race in a day) as well as something else I had done for the 12th time (run in events on back-to-back days). For the complete list, please click here.

After driving a tad over 150 miles (140 exactly from the Shell station in Tomball), I arrived in northwest Austin at the bottom of Jester Boulevard in the cover of the night and for good reason: "Has anyone seen that hill?!" My first impression once the sun started to come up was that it was the place that we did hill workouts during Power In Motion on Jose Canseco's steroids and no grass!

Officially, the course measured 3.25 miles (as listed on the results) and included 750 feet or vertical climbing with the steepest climb reaching a grade of 20% while the steepest descent was 17%! It was imposing, to say the least, but it was one of those things that I thought: "What the heck! Might as well try it!" 156 other folks did the 5K as well. I finished 100th in a time of 35:33.38. Just under 11 minutes a mile. Not too bad for two huge hills!

The first hill is pictured on the web site (listed above). The second hill came after a steep descent and a bit of a run (which some of us were duped into thinking that there was actually a turnaround since we saw some runners earlier running the other way). However, we weren't focused on the obvious fact that they didn't have bib numbers. The latter hill wasn't as long but seemed as steep and the road itself was grated!

It was cool, fun and tough and would be something that I would encourage everyone to do. I talked to one gentleman who trains on the hill (there's nothing like it in Houston anywhere) and he had done the event last year. He had tipped me off that the second hill was tougher and he was right.

My gun time was 35:43.40 with no official "chip time" being recorded on the official results; however, I had logged a difference of 9.52 seconds between the gun and me hitting the map to give me a net time of 35:33.88! (There were no mile markers on the course, but mile splits would have been thrown out the window with a course like this.)

I got in about two minutes before 23-year-old Austinite Audra Teinert, who I talked to quite a bit before the race. She did well enough to finish 4th or 5th in her age group.

The event was well organized, timed by Run Far, who interestingly enough did the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 10K as opposed to Luke's or RunWild, and had a good post-race setup. The price after regular registration was a bit high ($30), but was worth it for a unique, different event.

I would take 290 East to Hwy. 21 (where I would go through Caldwell on the way to Bryan). In Bryan I picked up Hwy. 158 and eventually Hwy. 30 on into Huntsville for the second event of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home