Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Bellaire Trolley Run 5K Race Report

As I've detailed here, I've been off the mark for the last couple of weeks. Therefore, I need to get back in gear but I'll be trying to do it from Atlanta and Albuquerque this week. (Running in high altitude should be fun!)

At this morning's Bellaire Trolley Run 5K, I should have been happy with my time of 29:18.9; however, I'm miserable with it as I didn't feel like I ran well at all. I feel like I've got another in PR in me, but it just isn't coming. I think, today, missing the first water stop past mile 1 hurt me a little bit, but I just couldn't drop the hammer in the end.

I started out with a 9:01.89 first mile and as much as I know that I need to slow down, the ability to do that continues to be slow in coming. The second mile wasn't that bad as I did it in 9:29.76, which put me at 18:31.65 for two miles, but I had a pace of 9:47 in the last 1.1 miles.

Very nice event -- the 10th annual, but my first time to run it -- with an excellent post-race spread and great weather. The course was full of straightaways on the city streets of Bellaire. No surprise in the winner, Sean Wade, but he won it in impressive fashion: 14:58.1, a 4:50 per mile pace. Second place went to Wilmer's Clint Bell (15:18.3), who is a former TAPPS state champion from Dallas Christian HS and ran collegiately at SMU.

Lots of HARRA members out due to the fact that it was the 3rd race in the HARRA Spring Series and lots of Houston Striders.

The majority of our Power in Motion Fitness group from last fall was there today. The star of the group has to be 54-year-old Sophie Rydin, who reeled in a time of 27:27 today. There wasn't any chip difference on the official results and her husband, Mike, was about 7 seconds getting across the line so Sophie was probably at 27:20, which should be a great PR for her!

I was behind Stacy Stepler, 26, a good bit of the way, had her in sight, but could never catch her as she ran a really nice pace and posted a time of 28:08.6. John Ainsworth, 51, although I never saw him on the course, came in right ahead of me at 28:46.4 while Becky Spaulding, 42, who I didn't see all day, posted a time of 31:21.4. It appeared that three other members of that group were there; however, there was inconclusive or incomplete results. There was an Amy Parker that had a time of 27:01.4 (8:43 per mile) but there wasn't any age associated with the entry while Stephanie Salyer and Lynn Stengel were seen at the post-race party but there was no official result posted for them.

Two of our coaches, Saara DeWalt and Megan Clark-Dillingham, had great races today. Saara, 32, who will be moving in the summer to begin as an assistant professor at Clemson University, clipped off a 21:27.5 while Megan, 29, who said she really had a good run, posted a time of 24:13.7. Saara's husband, Kalan Ickes, did his first 5K ever in a time of 25:05.3.

Now that the Trolley Run is over, I'm still undecided what I'm going to do about next week. Two events - Law Week Fun Run 8K and Sarah Graybeal's Yuri's Night 5K Fun Run - that I'd love to do may fall by the wayside for the sake of proximity and cost with the Run The Woodlands 5K. My indecision bumped the price on both to $25 and $20, respectively. If I don't go to Dallas in the morning to run the half marathon associated with the Big D Texas Marathon then that option may still be open for me. If I do go to Dallas, then that fate is sealed for next week.

Why a half tomorrow? I enjoy the distance and right now, I need to do well in an event again to reenergize my confidence since early February when I rattled off PR's in three of four weeks (and the fourth week I ran a sub 29-minute 5K). We'll see what happens!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home