Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Nothing But Pressure!

Imagine the surprise when I get back to my computer after running an errand or two this afternoon, check the HARRA web site and see this blog listed on the main page! Surprised would be the word; however, I'm up for the pressure! Thanks Steve and Geoff! Actually I would love to see more runners taking just a little bit of time to share their experiences in preparation, racing or even just the camaraderie with those in the running community.

Updates have indeed been few to come this week as I've been finishing up my job as a Senior Consultant with IMA Consulting, Inc., a healthcare consulting firm based in Chadds Ford, Pa. I'll be going to work Monday morning, after four and a half years with IMA, for the McKesson Corporation, based out of Alpharetta, Georgia. I'll be working as a Senior Consultant in their healthcare revenue cycle consulting division and going to work for a gentleman named Scott Pillittere who I had the chance to work with on a project in 2001 and 2002 at Catholic Health Services of Long Island when he was with Accenture.

Additionally, my workout time has been limited this week as my wife, Gena, has been in Tennessee this week attending the funeral of her 19-year-old cousin, Renae Darden, who tragically passed away early Monday morning, March 28, as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident. I've had to keep a closer tabs on Waverly, my 9-year-old daughter, which is perfectly OK, but it altered my ability to get in a late night (or early morning .. lol) run or a workout at Bally's.

The last two days, however, she and I have put in 2.1 mile walks with our subdivision here on the north side of town. Waverly used her pedometer (one of the more inexpensive varieties) to track her steps and ironically, they wildly varied between the two days. Yesterday, she clipped off 6,299 steps while this afternoon it was only 5,008. We were moving at a little bit of a faster pace, but I didn't think it would result in a large difference in steps. We covered the 2.1 miles in 33:01.93, a 15:44 pace.

Given that, it will be interesting to see how I do tomorrow in the Trolley Run 5K (the 3rd race of the 6-event HARRA Spring Series) in the beautiful city of Bellaire. (Thank goodness it is not in the speed trap of Southside Place.) As long as I can crack 30 minutes again, I'll be happy. But I'd be more pleased with a sub 29-minute effort.

Final thought: How has the price of gas changed your running activities?

For me, I decided to forgo going to pick my packet up for tomorrow's race early to avoid an additional 50-to-55-mile round trip. Now, if I do what I plan to on Sunday, it will blow that argument out of the water. However, it makes you stop and think more exactly what you are spending to do an event in addition to the entry fee. For the same reason, I'm considering doing the local Run The Woodlands 5K next Saturday even though I get tired of the 5K's and would prefer to do the 8K distance offered by the 20th John J. Eikenburg Law Week Fun Run. (Let me back up: It is never tough to get too tired of $1 5K's.)

It's off to Bally's in a little bit to hit the elliptical trainer hard for an hour and then back to rest up for tomorrow! [Did one hour covering 5.60 miles, level 15, random ... not bad for not having done it in a week!]

Best wishes on the roads this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home