Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Strider Bloggers at HARRA XC Relay

My teammates have beaten me to it in their blogs (as I was waiting for the confirmation of the last person); however, we will have a Striders Bloggers team in the HARRA Cross Country Relay on Saturday afternoon, September 17, 2005 at 5:00 p.m. in Eleanor Tinsley Park near St. Thomas HS.

Jessica Alexander, Jennifer Kim, Holden Choi and myself will be one of a record-setting 36 Striders teams (as of Saturday, August 27th). This will be up from an all-time high of 22 Striders teams last year.

My teammates have whittled down our team name choices to one of two:

"Blog This, Striders!"
"Striders Run, Then Write"

As the team captain, I've suggested that Jennifer and myself will run the first two 2-mile legs while Jessica will run leg #3 and Holden, who has the fastest 5K time of the four (4) of us, will run leg #4!

Everybody that runs the Cross Country Relay has to also be a HARRA member to score club points in the Interclub Competition. The Striders used the 22 teams last year, in addition with strong places, to open up a 24-point lead on the Bayou City Road Runners en route to the club's first HARRA Series championship ever.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so jealous. Wish I could do it with y'all or field another team. Definitely next year. Hey, by this time next year, the bloggers should be able to field 3 or 4 teams. We'll have our own t-shirts (or singlets). We'll even have a little tent set up that's connected to the internet, where people can come and post to their blogs or get hints on how to start their own blog. What a dream!!!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

i am really excited about our team...everything came together so quickly and it is going to be a good time! and Vic, I like your ideas. Who knows, we can really start to push blogs in the area, and who knows where this could be in a year??!
-Jessica

7:33 AM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

I never realized Striders were so much fun. I just checked Harra for my number but it was not posted yet. I'll check tomorrow and if it is still not on there, I'll contact them.

7:45 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Holden, Steve could probably confirm, but I'd give it to early next week. You can find Bill Crich's e-mail on the HARRA web site (as he is the new membership director) and he can tell you what it is. I just don't know how often they are getting Geoff Guenther (the HARRA webmaster .. and Strider!) information to refresh the web page.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

hey cool! Vic, next year you and I will be ready too!!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holden,

Bill Crich has direct access to the membership list on harra.org. He refreshes every few days. Don't worry, everything's fine.

Steve

11:55 AM  
Blogger Gabriel Rodriguez said...

John,

Sam and I will be at the HARRA XC Relay as a couple of more bloggers running the race! See you there (finally!).

3:35 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Guess what y'all- I got asked to be on a Strider team, so my slow running booty will be doing the XC relay too!! (Sorry Vic!) I don't know my teammates, but they are:
Dianna Densmore, Sandra Gnoinski
and Yissel Arrieta. Woot!!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

can't wait to see everyone!
-jessica

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home