Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

What A Sunday!

1.) Got a very early e-mail from Sarah Graybeal who sent the first mock-up of the RRCA National Convention web site template. You all will be very impressed, I think, with what is put out there. (Actually it was sent Saturday night, but she was so euphoric from her ballooning experiences on Friday and Saturday that she sent it to herself.) I'm good for the content piece of web sites; however, I really needed Sarah's creative energies and technical abilities to assist pulling together something exciting and different than the RRCA has ever had. I'll be working with Doug Spence on content as he puts together the convention program and I'm certain that we'll be able to get Vic Kaiser involved in some technical things as well as convention-week coverage.

2.) Took Waverly to church this morning where we go to church at North Park Baptist Church. Found out that Nathan Shanahan and Heath Sumrow were a little sore after Saturday's Run The Woodlands 5K #136. Nathan said that his T-shirt felt like it weighed an extra five (5) pounds. I didn't get a chance to talk to Kenny Gibson at all. The four of us, plus two others, will represent our church in May 2006 at Corpus Christi's Beach to Bay Marathon Relay (May 20th).

3.) After church, we went to my parent's house for lunch. I set up a printer that my Dad got for his laptop at home. (The guy has 3 laptops, a desktop and 5 printers! But I love him anyways! Actually, one of the older laptops came home with us for Waverly.) Not the most running-friendly meal, but my mom's oven had the element burn out over the weekend. So it was spaghetti, a thin crust pizza from Domino's and some corn. Tasty, but needed to go work it off later.

4.) Logged 5.36 and 4.96 miles in back-to-back 60 and 55 minutes stints on the treadmill at the Bally's in The Woodlands. (Actually reading Lisa Leese' blog entry this morning about her and her husband doing 17 miles yesterday made me feel guilty -- in conjunction with not getting outside and running this morning. Thanks Lisa!) I only stopped for less than 5 minutes in between the two stretches to change t-shirts and get some water.

For the first stretch, I started at 5.0 mph for the first 6 minutes and then upped it .1 every 6 minutes. I got to 5.6 mph but after 42 minutes, I dropped it to 5.5 mph and finished at that pace the remainder of the hour. On the second stretch, I started the same way, took it to 5.8 mph in minutes 49-55 to finish.

5.) I then went and played a little basketball at our church for about 30 minutes, came home, opened my e-mails and found out that Cassie had joined the Striders as well! Welcome to the Striders Cassie!

I'm now getting packed, waiting for Waverly to come in and give Daddy a good night kiss before bed and getting things wrapped up before a short night's sleep and a 7:35 am flight from Intercontinental to Indianapolis, Indiana for work in Bloomington this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home