Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sunday Workout Blues

Well, it started out that way -- as blues! My intentions were to get up very early, drive to Cullen Park, log some miles before 7 a.m. and then join some fellow Houston Striders on an 8-mile trek.

The alarm went off and Jon was back into bed. I slept until around 8:30 a.m. (Yes, I was temporarily wrecked with guilt.) However, I needed the rest. But it put some pressure on me to get my miles in. This past week hadn't been a good preparation week at all; therefore, I needed (and need to continue) to step it up a bit.

I got a late start after church this morning and finally made it to Bally's at about 3:30 p.m. The plan was to run for three (3) hours on the treadmill. I did OK. Well, the bottom line is that I got three (3) hours worth of workouts in.

I started out getting a little loose by doing 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer before making my way to the treadmill. The first hour, I put in 5.75 miles. I set it at 5.5 mph for the first 10 minutes then upped it .1 mph every 10 minutes thereafter. The last 10 minutes was at 6.0 mph.

The second hour, I went the first 30 minutes at 5.5 mph and the goal was to get through the last 30 minutes at 5.6 mph. I made it to 51:55 then hit the "STOP" button as I started to not feel real well in my left foot. (Doing the calculations on the Runner's World pace calculator, 21:55 at 5.6 mph was just under 2.05 miles. Add 2.75 miles for the first 30 minutes and you have 4.8 miles.) Total: 10.55 miles.

I then logged an hour on the stationery bike doing my typical hill workout at level 7 (out of 10).

I just really need to pick my activity level up another notch as I think some of this, as I mentioned, is a weight issue. I could tell at the gym when I went through my third T-shirt that the Bellaire Trolley Run 5K t-shirt was just a bit more snug than when I had been wearing it casually with Dockers shorts. (So my plan for this week is to do some strong cardio tomorrow night, rest Tuesday or 3-4 mile jog, longer run or speedwork on Wednesday, run with her + another 2.1 on Thursday and rest on Friday.)

When I got home after getting a bite to eat, I then took Waverly out for her 3.5-mile brisk walk/jog -- the first leg to January! We only jogged at the very end, especially since she did a 5K yesterday. We have a standard 2.1-mile loop in our subdivision and then I had to create another 1.4-mile stretch (and this part is so new that I don't think it would show up on any of the 'Web maps or satellite images yet). The times looked like this:

First 2.1 miles - 32:40.08 - 15:33/mile
Last 1.4 miles - 21:25.46 - 15:18/mile
Total 3.5 miles - 54:05.54 - 15:27/mile

She's doing super! She didn't know it, but that is actually the longest distance she's gone now! (Other than walking two loops at Memorial Park. When we get to 6 miles, I'll take her there as I'm going to try to mix up the scenery to keep things from getting stagnant.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

3 hours! Wow. I haven't run, or even worked out, for that long since January (well, unless you count hiking, which I probably should).

I know how you feel about the weight thing -- I'm 7-8 pounds heavier than I was at the beginning of the year. Enough that I can see and feel the extra weight. My goal is to drop those 8 pounds by the end of the year.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home