Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

818 Texans to run NYC; 11 cities send 10 or more

10-26 Update: There are 11 cities in Texas who have more than 10 runners running. They are as follows: Houston (183), Austin (114), Dallas (113), San Antonio (34), Plano (23), Fort Worth (20), The Woodlands (19), El Paso (17), Coppell (15), Irving (13), Bellaire (10).

I love events like the New York City Marathon that puts entrant data (probably more to cut down on the number of inquiries) out there that can be massaged. (Both the Marine Corps Marathon and the Chevron Houston Marathon, for example, with their use of Active.com event registration tools dramatically increase the amount of manual time necessary to dissect the data.)

There are 1,179 entries in the NYC Marathon entrant database for Texans. 338 of those potential runners have already cancelled while another 23 are referred to contact the marathon about their entry status. That leaves 818, as of today, that are making plans to run through the five (5) boroughs!

There are only 21 HARRA members out of those 818! They are as follows:

ANDERSON, JP, M41, HOUSTON (BCRR)
ANDERSON, BETSY S, F57, HOUSTON (HF)
BELL, SUSAN L, F42, KEMAH (CLFC)
BLACKBURN, TAMARA, F31, SUGAR LAND (HF)

BRADEN, JIM, M70, THE WOODLANDS (BCRR)
BRUNENI, SUSAN J, F59, HOUSTON (KW)
DAVIES, TOM M, M32, HOUSTON (NONE)
DAVIS, BARRY R, M53, SUGAR LAND (FBF)
FINK, DONNA B, F37, PASADENA (GLWY)
GNOINSKI, SANDRA, F52, HOUSTON (HS)
ISHAM, ARLEN, M61, HOUSTON (ALRC)
JANNETTI, NINA, F49, SUGAR LAND (FLS)
KISHINO, ASHLEY C, M45, HOUSTON (BCRR)
LAUCK, ROBERT, M49, RICHMOND (NONE)
MILLER, MARY BETH, F43, HOUSTON (HF)
PALMER, LYNN, F51, HOUSTON (CLFC)
RODRIGUEZ, RICHARD R, M50, HOUSTON (NONE)
STOTZER, ERIC, M38, HOUSTON (BCRR)
STOTZER, SUSAN, F35, HOUSTON (BCRR)
WALK, JON D, M38, SPRING (HS)
WARD, WESLEY R, M36, HOUSTON (HF)

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Interesting stats. Maybe one day, my name will be up there! I wonder how many non-HARA members from Houston are running. I'm actually thinking of joining HARA.

Jon, I understand that you can sign up 4 of your friends to receive alerts as to your progress during the New York Marathon. From what I can tell you have many many more than four (hey, that's a great thing!). Perhaps you could route one of the four alerts to your blog (or a separate blog) so the Houston Bloggers can track your progress. Although I've never done it, I believe you can setup blogger to auto-blog the contents of an email when sent to a specific address that you setup. Just a thought, but would be cool!

Go Jon GO!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Steve's got a cool idea. I'll look into that too.

I'm one of the non-HARRA Houstonians that will be running NYC.

Keith.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Let me know if you get it setup. I'm going to do something like that for the Houston Marathon.

Good Luck Kieth!

6:06 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Keith,

I'll try to post the numbers by town / cities this weekend.

Saturday is going to be busy as I'm running Rocky Raccoon 25K and then once I get back, I have to stop at Luke's and pick up the Run The Woodlands 5K results and post them online. (All before the Astros game, of course!)

Who knows? Perhaps we'll bump into each other there. I ran into Hans Jaeger of the Seven Hills Running Club from Huntsville in the crowd of people at last year's Marine Corps Marathon.

As far as giving preference to HARRA, I'm just trying to promote an organization that is attempting to do good things for the running community in our area.

We all need more publicity. (Well certainly not me.)

Jon

9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll look for you in NYC Jon.

And the email thing should work.
In the blogger settings pages, on the email tab, I set up the address to post directly to my page, and then I gave that as one of the notification emails on the ingnycm website.

Good idea Steve!

Keith.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

cool!!! I hope it works. The world is watching now :) hehehe

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home