Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sean Wade to Rabbit for Marathoners on Sunday

Chevron Houston Marathon executive director Steven Karpas announced Sunday morning on a public affairs affairs program of Cox Radio (92.9 / 97.1 FM), hosted by former Houston sports radio talk show host Mike Mollett that New Zealand native and six-time top 5 Houston Marathon finisher Sean Wade, 39, will be the "rabbit" for the elite marathon field that will descend upon Houston this coming Sunday, January 15th.

"My responsibilities will be to set a steady pace through 13.1 miles," Wade said via e-mail on Monday. "This will enable the elite marathoners to relax and not have to worry about the pace slowing down."

Something that Wade himself knows about running the Houston Marathon.

When the pace slowed in the 1997 event, that is commonly known as the "Ice Bowl," Wade dropped out of the race in mile 10 despite leading with fellow Rice graduate Jon Warren.

"Hopefully there will be 3-5 guys running right behind me who can then start racing each other when I drop out," Wade explained. "The pace they have asked for is five (5) minute miles, which works out to 1:05 :30 for the half."

Wade finished 23rd in 1:07:03 last January in the Aramco Half Marathon - his only non-first place finish of the spring season - against a very talented (and younger) field that was - and is again in 2006 - competing for the United States National Championship.

He joked that "it is tough for an old guy like me." Nonetheless, Sean was the fastest local finisher edging Luis Armenteros (1:08:41) and Rudy Rocha (1:09:41) and had nobody older than him finish faster either. One of Texas' top Masters runners, William Moore, 43, of Dallas, was a few minutes back in 1:10:48.

Wade is gearing up for his 40th birthday on February 3rd when he will shift his focus to competing on the national Masters road racing circuit. In an earlier interview this fall, Wade indicated that he's aiming for a 14:30 5K and recent efforts - including Sunday's 14:49 at the Rockets Run 5K - seem to reveal he's closing in on the goal.

"This is a great way to test my fitness," he added. "And I have had success at doing it ("rabbitting") in the past."

The overall 2003 Houston Marathon winner said that he has been a rabbit at the Fukuoka Marathon in Japan and the Dong-A Marathon in Seoul, South Korea.

Prior to his 1996 appearance in the Atlanta Olympics for his native New Zealand, where he ran the race through a stress fracture to an 83rd place finish (out of 124 finishers), Wade said he was the rabbit - running a 4:50 pace for 25K - for the March 1996 Dong-A that was won by Spain's Martin Fiz in a 1996-best time of 2:08:25. Lee Bong-Ju, the 2001 Boston Marathon winner, was second in that same race finishing a second behind Fix.

Bong-Ju and Fiz, later that year in August at the Olympics in Atlanta, would go 2nd and 4th.

Sunday's marathon will be the 11th Houston Marathon event that Wade has competed in.

Here's a complete record of Wade's Marathon Day performances:

1993 - 2nd in the marathon in 2:16:09 - his first marathon ever
1994 - 5th in the marathon in 2:14:50
1995 - 3rd in the marathon in 2:12:58 - earlier had won the October '94 Fox Cities Marathon in Wisconsin at 2:19:45. After the race, Wade was quoted in the Houston Chronicle as saying, "I guess sometime I'll finish first and fourth."
1996 - 4th in the marathon in 2:10:59, but good enough to earn a spot on the New Zealand Olympic team.
1997 - Dropped out after leading through mile 10.
2001 - Led through mile 21, ran off the course and went home. "I entered to win the race and for no other reason," Wade said from his home afterward. "I ran out of steam. I thought I could run a 2:30 and win, but I didn't train well enough for a 2:30. The quick pace that the one runner (Pullins) set forced me to run faster than I wanted, and I guess it caught up to me." (Chronicle)
2002 - 1st in the Uptown Park 4 in 19:53 (Wade was quoted in the Chronicle as stating that the course was long. Certifier Tom McBrayer remeasured the course a week later and found it to be within standards. Please see note.)
2003 - 1st overall in the marathon in 2:24:43 passing Lambros Zaragas in the last mile.
2004 - 3rd overall in the marathon in 2:22:26.
2005 - 23rd overall in the half marathon in 1:07:03 in the midst of a field laden with US National Championship competitors.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

again, good reading!!!!! Thanks for the story, Jon!

3:05 PM  
Blogger JGC Photography said...

I guess when you've run a 2:10 marathon you qualify to rabbit for the elite. I'll never see that day!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Always awed by your data and the way you tell it.

7:06 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Thanks for the compliments; however, it is easy to write when somebody of Sean's stature and accomplishments was so willing to share the necessary information to write a good story.

The research on the details was actually the easy part of it -- and most fun too.

Jon

7:45 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

cool stuff....so....he'll be pacing me? that's awful nice.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Great read Jon. Sean is a class guy, and being willing to go out and rabbit I would imagine is quite an honor.

Congrats to Waverly on her PR, as well. Awesomes stuff!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Lance, I'll let you rabbit for me back in the B corral.

When you finish, turn around run back to where I am at and "rabbit me in!"

RunSteve

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

Bezner, you might have a deal. If I can walk and am not in too much pain I may meet you out there somewhere.

We can talk more Friday night about your target finishing time so I'll know when to head out (if I'm able). Usually on these longer runs I'm fine until I stop, then I'm walking like Fred Sanford.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home